36 hrs stuck in a moult

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I currently have a grammostola anthracina sling around the 1" mark thats been stuck mid moult since Saturday the little guy/girl must be stressed beyond belief, normally this sling is done and dusted within an hr max it is the 3rd moult in my care and I'm determined not to lose this sling. Ive moved it to an icu to try helping it along and it seems to be working as this morning its fangs and carapace are both finally free as anyone got any other suggestions as ive tried the drop of warm water on a paint brush but I don't want to disturb the t

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
At this stage I think you will be extremely lucky to get the full specimen out of the molt, what part of the spider is still in the molt?

Had similar with one of my juvie GBB a month or so back, after 72hours or so she passed, I guess from exhaustion.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Almost 3/4 of all its legs im thinking that worse case it loses its life or best case a few limbs will be missing although a friend of mine who is a zoologist says I maybe able to soften the moult with warm water. I'm in a bit of a catch 22 situation as either way it could die

awiec

Arachnoprince
You can attempt to wiggle the legs out of the molt with small tweezers and a small wet paint brush, I had to get a sling's legs out of a molt once but also the T was half out so it was "helping" by trying to pull away from me while I was working. 36 hours seems like the little thing will be very tired, the faster you get the T out of the molt, the better chance it will have to recover.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can attempt to wiggle the legs out of the molt with small tweezers and a small wet paint brush, I had to get a sling's legs out of a molt once but also the T was half out so it was "helping" by trying to pull away from me while I was working. 36 hours seems like the little thing will be very tired, the faster you get the T out of the molt, the better chance it will have to recover.
It's done ive just spent 3hrs carefully and painstakingly removing all remains of the old skin. I used a soft paint brush warm water and a small microscope so it's all down to the little guy now on the plus side all legs look intact but I think at least 1 palp maybe both are missing

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good job, I bet the little one's appreciative. Upload a picture for us.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's done ive just spent 3hrs carefully and painstakingly removing all remains of the old skin. I used a soft paint brush warm water and a small microscope so it's all down to the little guy now on the plus side all legs look intact but I think at least 1 palp maybe both are missing
You'll probably have to tong-feed the little one in case it lost both palps or it has trouble with one remaining even. But good job!

cold blood

Staff member
Mad props to you. I have much respect for someone that is able to painstakingly save a t from a bad molt, its certainly no easy task and it seems like you had a long way to go. Bravo! I must admit, when I first read this I thought the amount of time that went by was too much and the exo would be too hard. Way to not give up!

awiec

Arachnoprince
You'll probably have to tong-feed the little one in case it lost both palps or it has trouble with one remaining even. But good job!
Its defiantly a good feeling when you successfully get a T out of a molt; whether it lives or dies you at least know you have the skill to be able to help Ts in the future. I gave my P.muticus who had several mangled legs small meals which I maimed a little to make it easier on it. After it got a few meals in it it was able to take out prey normally and now has all 8 legs back and has plenty of spunk. Also it should molt faster to repair damage so just feed it generously until it can molt again; just keep an extra eye on it as mangled limbs can sometimes get stuck during molting.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mad props to you. I have much respect for someone that is able to painstakingly save a t from a bad molt, its certainly no easy task and it seems like you had a long way to go. Bravo! I must admit, when I first read this I thought the amount of time that went by was too much and the exo would be too hard. Way to not give up!
Thanks. As of right now "houdini" as it will be known from now on is kicking stretching and generally looks a lot brighter. Ill upload a picture tomorrow as I don't want to disturb the t anymore than needed as it's had enough stress to last a lifetime

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's an update pic of houdini as you can see both palps look intact but today ive noticed one of the little guys legs is damaged so now it's up to the t with a little help from me of course

Attachments