What is my Phormictopus doing?

ThrenodyDirge

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I have a 3" Phormictopus sp. 'purple' (or so it was called Cuban Purple by the dealer). I need some insight as to what it is currently doing.

It has completely sealed itself inside its hide. Completely blocked off from all access, it has done this in its new enclosure.

My immediate thought was, "It could be molting." It seemed like a proper leap of logic.

However, he ate a cricket about 8 hours ago. If it is molting very soon, it should have passed up dinner. Right?

If molting, why did it eat mere hours before? If not molting, why has it sealed itself in?

My thoughts are that it could be:
-Molting
-Stress from rehousing.
-Personality

Thank you for your responses,
~Dirge

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
If it's recently been rehoused then it's likely just getting some privacy, blocked enterances with web and such aren't always linked to a molt, just know tha the tarantula knows wht it is doing.

For example my MF C. darlingi will seal her enterances just before daylight rises and will re open them just as the sun settles for hunting time.

cold blood

Staff member
If it's recently been rehoused then it's likely just getting some privacy, blocked enterances with web and such aren't always linked to a molt, just know tha the tarantula knows wht it is doing.

For example my MF C. darlingi will seal her enterances just before daylight rises and will re open them just as the sun settles for hunting time.
So true, but its also true that sometimes t's will continue to eat, even when in pre-molt, especially the early stages of it.. Time will tell.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
Do you have pictures of your Phormictopus sp. "purple"? I'd like to see how the coloration is on it.

ThrenodyDirge

Arachnopeon
Do you have pictures of your Phormictopus sp. "purple"? I'd like to see how the coloration is on it.
Brown is the best description. In very direct it seems bluish.

http://i.imgur.com/y1OApyL.jpg

http://imgur.com/U6eCqRE

It is currently 3". I've heard that one is supposed to retrieve the molt from the enclosure, but when should I do that? I would have to lift the hide. Should I wait until it is entirely active?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I've heard that one is supposed to retrieve the molt from the enclosure, but when should I do that?
Removing it is NOT necessary. If it can be gotten to, remove it, otherwise don't worry about it, it won't cause an issue. There's probably wild t's in deep burrows with several sheds in with them. My B. smithi's last molt was deep in its basement, no way I could get to it without basically re-housing, which ain't happening for a molt. If the t wants it out, they will remove it themselves.

The biggest problem is if you are hoping to sex the t, your problem, not the t's.;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've heard that one is supposed to retrieve the molt from the enclosure, but when should I do that?
You need to stop listening to, or reading, whatever your information source is now. Get Stan Schultz's book 'The Tarantula Keeper's Guide.' Loaded with info.

ThrenodyDirge

Arachnopeon
Thanks, everyone, for the info and advice. This is my second T and like every new hobbyist, I don't want things to go wrong.

ThrenodyDirge

Arachnopeon
Is there a point in time when I should maybe remove some substrate to spy on my T and then return it?

cold blood

Staff member
Is there a point in time when I should maybe remove some substrate to spy on my T and then return it?
No. I use a small flashlight, it allows me to see in many places that would otherwise be difficult, if not impossible. If I can't see it with the flashlight, I don't see it, period. If you are removing things when it hides, its gonna have a hard time feeling comfortable.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No. I use a small flashlight, it allows me to see in many places that would otherwise be difficult, if not impossible. If I can't see it with the flashlight, I don't see it, period. If you are removing things when it hides, its gonna have a hard time feeling comfortable.
Every T owner should keep a flashlight in his spider room. Essential piece of equipment.

ThrenodyDirge

Arachnopeon
Ah, I was using my iPhone app to light the space. Every point of opening is covered by substrate. No seeing without moving a piece of it. I should just let it be that way no matter how long?