Climbing G. pulchra

Crucify

Arachnopeon
I completely forgot I made an account here, whoops. So I have a G. pulcha named Bessie, maybe a few inches legspan, pretty small still, bought her quite a long time ago now. The odd thing is, ever since she molted for the second time, she climbs obsessively, which I thought was rather odd since she's supposed to be a lazy terrestrial. She's incredibly skittish and bolts like a sluggish OBT if the lid is open, and she spends all day plastered against the plastic wall of her tank. Her substrate is perfectly fine, she sits on it, she sleeps on it, etc. but she simply won't stop climbing.
It's reached the point where I actually bought some large sticks for her tank to try and prevent her falling and injuring herself, since evidently she doesn't want to get down. She's sitting on the top one right now, balancing on two legs with her body glued to the side.

Is this a normal thing for one of these spiderlings to do? It only started since she last molted, then she suddenly gained the ability to Spiderman up and down everything, even if it looks a little clumsy. Doesn't web, burrow, user her hide, just spends all day and night climbing and hanging off the wall of her tank. I suppose she is a bit odd considering she defecates everywhere if you touch her and she spent a period of time throwing herself off everything like bungee jumper, I thought I should actually ask some people more experienced than I am as to why she behaves like this.

I don't know if she's just a bit strange or if there's something wrong? I'm not sure what it could be, considering her tank seems fine and she doesn't mind sitting on the dirt

Here's a photo of her from a while ago.

cold blood

Staff member
It could certainly use more ground space and much less vertical space. Re-house is my suggestion.;)

Crucify

Arachnopeon
It could certainly use more ground space and much less vertical space. Re-house is my suggestion.;)
I have been debating on rehousing for a while, I've been so busy with probably over a hundred snails that the tarantulas have been sitting at the back since they don't exactly demand a huge amount of attention. Would an Exo-Terra Faunarium work? I'm low on small tanks right now, and I don't want to give her too much room that would be better used else where.

cold blood

Staff member
I have been debating on rehousing for a while, I've been so busy with probably over a hundred snails that the tarantulas have been sitting at the back since they don't exactly demand a huge amount of attention. Would an Exo-Terra Faunarium work? I'm low on small tanks right now, and I don't want to give her too much room that would be better used else where.
In my personal experience, Grammostolas tend to do better with more room than less. Mine use hides a little less and wander a little more while staying in the open with regularity.

Crucify

Arachnopeon
In my personal experience, Grammostolas tend to do better with more room than less. Mine use hides a little less and wander a little more while staying in the open with regularity.
Alright, thanks! Looks like I'll be reusing her tank for something else, I could definitely do with it right now. I just hope she grows out of her habits as she ages, the last thing I need is for her to mature and continue defecating on people and bolting because someone slammed the door too loudly.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I second that notation to rehouse her! I would use cork and fake plant to give her some cover, so she can feel safe.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
In addition to the above, I'd also like to point out one key elements of us being able to help in a situation like this, is that we know the spider's name ('Bessie'). Thanks for providing that at the outset.

Crucify

Arachnopeon
I rehoused her and she is not even remotely happy about it, not much a surprise there. Hopefully she'll settle down within a week or two, if not, then I'm at a loss really. I didn't start with grammostolas expecting one of them to climb practically everything they get their feet on.

I suppose if the tank doesn't work out, I'll just invest in a new one and set it up in the same way as my rosea.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I rehoused her and she is not even remotely happy about it, not much a surprise there. Hopefully she'll settle down within a week or two, if not, then I'm at a loss really. I didn't start with grammostolas expecting one of them to climb practically everything they get their feet on.

I suppose if the tank doesn't work out, I'll just invest in a new one and set it up in the same way as my rosea.
It can take a few days or weeks for them to settle into a new cage. Give her a little time.

cold blood

Staff member
Hopefully she'll settle down within a week or two, if not, then I'm at a loss really.
A week or two is like a day for us...lol. It could take weeks, or months before its comfortable...this hobby takes patience, a lot of it many times. Don't worry IF it will like it, it just needs time. Eventually it will start laying a little webbing, bit by bit it will eventually be just fine. I can tell you one thing, if you re-house again before it does get comfortable, you're putting yourself 10 steps backwards. Just leave it, its gonna be just fine, you're overthinking. T's don't complain, they adapt.

edit: beat by poec;)