Looking for a new spider

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Hi. I am looking for a spider that put web all over the tank. I am a beguinner.

Any tips?

cold blood

Staff member
and what should I use to feed slings with 1cm?
Same things as adults, only smaller versions. Some little slings need pre-kill, but gbb's are pretty great eaters, so it prolly won't be the case. I use pinhead crickets pretty regularly. They eat well, grow fairly quickly, web a TON, and look splendid.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Same things as adults, only smaller versions. Some little slings need pre-kill, but gbb's are pretty great eaters, so it prolly won't be the case. I use pinhead crickets pretty regularly. They eat well, grow fairly quickly, web a TON, and look splendid.
Nice :) thank you

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Can i feed slings with small calci worms or waxworms?

hmbrower

Arachnosquire
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Big webber and new world.

---------- Post added 06-25-2014 at 03:06 PM ----------

I would feed slings with crickets. 1/8 to 1/4. If those appear to be too large, try flightless fruit flies.

awiec

Arachnoprince
GBB for sure as for food you can just squish the head or the segment behind the head of small cricket if you are nervous; otherwise they can take out pinheads by themselves. There are dwarf species that web a lot but they are more high strung (as they are little) than a GBB.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
do you have any tips for the enclosure of a GBB? like substrate, humidity, temps.

Is GBB terrestrial or arboreal?

awiec

Arachnoprince
do you have any tips for the enclosure of a GBB? like substrate, humidity, temps.

This is something that you should use the search function for as this is a very common species, but I'll give you a run down for the sling's sake.
1. These are primarily terrestrial but people have reported some as having arboreal like tendencies including my own. I'd set the tank up like a terrestrial with the sub level leaving no more than 1.5x the leg span of the T between the top of the sub and the top of the cage. I provided mine with an angled cork bark so if it wants to act like an aboreal it has the option but a standard semicircle piece on the ground will do just fine as they are terrestrial.

2. I use a simple kritter keeper for mine as it can't get out of the slats and enough ventilation is provided. For something less than an inch a salad/tupperware container with holes on the top and sides will work

3. These are an arid species and really hate damp sub. I use coco fiber (eco earth is what I usually use) and only provide a full waterdish for humidity, I only flood it over into the sub when I suspect a molt

4. These can be skittish so its best to leave them alone, mine is usually always out but does not care for being distrubed.

5. These grow fast and a hardy species, so good job on your choice.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
This is something that you should use the search function for as this is a very common species, but I'll give you a run down for the sling's sake.
1. These are primarily terrestrial but people have reported some as having arboreal like tendencies including my own. I'd set the tank up like a terrestrial with the sub level leaving no more than 1.5x the leg span of the T between the top of the sub and the top of the cage. I provided mine with an angled cork bark so if it wants to act like an aboreal it has the option but a standard semicircle piece on the ground will do just fine as they are terrestrial.

2. I use a simple kritter keeper for mine as it can't get out of the slats and enough ventilation is provided. For something less than an inch a salad/tupperware container with holes on the top and sides will work

3. These are an arid species and really hate damp sub. I use coco fiber (eco earth is what I usually use) and only provide a full waterdish for humidity, I only flood it over into the sub when I suspect a molt

4. These can be skittish so its best to leave them alone, mine is usually always out but does not care for being distrubed.

5. These grow fast and a hardy species, so good job on your choice.
Thank you so much. It really helped. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thank you so much. It really helped. :)
No problem but please use the search function in the future, I just listed things off the top of my head. There are lots of threads on GBB/lots of other species, you should read them to fully appreciate your new addition.

awiec

Arachnoprince
what you think about Monocentropus balfouri?
That is an OW, meaning they are fast and will bite you since they have no hairs to flick. They are also very expensive, so I'd suggest you get the GBB as they are much cheaper and easier to work with. As a first OW they are a decent choice but I have a feeling that you don't have the experience to get an OW just yet.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
That is an OW, meaning they are fast and will bite you since they have no hairs to flick. They are also very expensive, so I'd suggest you get the GBB as they are much cheaper and easier to work with. As a first OW they are a decent choice but I have a feeling that you don't have the experience to get an OW just yet.
You are right. im a newbie in the spider area. i just got my 1st tarantula (Juvenile b. smithi) a month ago and i have now two slings (1cm) A. geniculata and B. smithi.
I saw on a website the Monocentropus balfouri sling (2cm) for 20 pounds.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
You are right. im a newbie in the spider area. i just got my 1st tarantula (Juvenile b. smithi) a month ago and i have now two slings (1cm) A. geniculata and B. smithi.
You can graduate to OW's in time, but don't skip to them. OW's too fast will lead to either you being too intimidated to be able to rationally care for them, or you don't exercise enough caution and end up getting bit or have an escape on your hands.

You can still get an M. Balfouri, just put it off until you have more experience, especially when it comes to enclosure maintenance and rehousing.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well even if its a decent price, don't get it. A GBB should be perfect for you as its care requirements are the same as your other spiders and you'll get a taste of skittish behavior but should still be at your skill level.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Well even if its a decent price, don't get it. A GBB should be perfect for you as its care requirements are the same as your other spiders and you'll get a taste of skittish behavior but should still be at your skill level.
I agree with his... GBB is one step up (the experience ladder) that you are now... I absolutely love my GBB and wouldnt trade it for the world... they web a whole lot you almost always see them (not a pet hole) and the feeding response on these guys is just flipen awsome!! Here is a pic of mine...

PsyC

Arachnosquire
I agree with his... GBB is one step up (the experience ladder) that you are now... I absolutely love my GBB and wouldnt trade it for the world... they web a whole lot you almost always see them (not a pet hole) and the feeding response on these guys is just flipen awsome!! Here is a pic of mine...

GBB look really awsome

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I like to think of C.cyaneopubescens as "vertical terrestrial". It isn't exactly arboreal but tends to build vertically as well as horizontally. My enclosure includes a tall hollow ceramic "rock" that my Indy uses as web anchoring.