how many slings do I have to buy to get a male?

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
Well, since most people want females because they live longer, if they only get 1 of a species, it is usually male lol

Some people get multiples and they always turn out male, and some always turn out female. Yes, the more slings you buy, the better the odds of getting the desired sex, but it's also luck of the draw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It varies with the species, but it's best to get at least 3 (5 is better) when you want both sexes. As many people overlook, not every sling makes it to maturity (molting problems being a big factor) and even if you do get the sex sling you want, it could die in a bad shed before it hits adulthood. I don't like to cut it too close with these things.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you get less then 3, the odds are not as good. I would say 4-6 is the best choice. More if you want to solidify your odds.
Like someone else said, just cause you get the right sex, doesn't mean it will reach adulthood.
Therefore, the more you get the better the odds you will get one that survives to maturity.
Or you can take the 50/50 chance with buying one, I'm sure it works out for some people.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
in a related question, i'm still trying to figure out how many powerball tickets i need to buy to get a jackpot winner.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I generally buy 3-4 if I really want a specific sex, or one of each. If I'm a little more lax about the species, I'll buy one at a time, and if I figure out its not what I want, I'll sell it and buy another one.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I buy three or five slings when I'm in search of a male, for some reason I like my odd numbers lol. My thought is if one or two die you still have a good number plus it's good to get more than one male. I have very few tarantulas die, but you never know. There is that good possibility your female could eat the male, even if you feed her a lot.

Last edited: