Injured Texas/Oklahoma Brown found in the wild

Zigana

Arachnosquire
This is the time of year I look forward to because tarantulas are out and about in the wild from June to September on a road by my house. Yesterday evening I was out looking for tarantulas and came across an injured one on the side of the road. Upon closer inspection I saw it had lost two legs and had some fluid on it's carapace. I got the critter keeper out of my car and gently scooped the poor thing up and brought it home in hopes of helping it. Where it had some fluid seaping out I put super glue in those places to try and help fluid loss. I put it in an icu container overnight but this morning it is lifeless. :( I think it had been attacked by a bird..losing the two legs and the marks on the carapace.

I keep watch for the tarantulas on the road to try and help them get out of dangers way and to hopefully find a female. The previous day I saw a tarantula in the road which I persistently kept trying to get it to get off the road. First attempt wasn't hard, it hurried off to the grass. I came back by a bit later and the tarantula was back crossing the road again. After a few minutes I finally got it far enough off the road and to a safer area. It wasn't real happy about it but better then being a splattered spot on the road which is common during the Summer months.

I have noticed that the tarantulas I have seen lately are very slender including the injured female I found. I would have thought they would have more weight being in the wild with plenty of bugs to eat. I have seen females on the road in the past as well as males which surprises me since most everything I have read says they are males crossing the roads.

Just wanted to share. I don't think anything else could have been done for the injured tarantula but if you know of something that may help with future injured tarantulas let me know please.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Thanks for trying to help it! Sadly sometimes it's just natures way. They are prey for a variety of creatures of course. There's probably more competition for food in the wild hence them being slender. I'm sure we give our tarantulas much more than they need in our homes. Hence the cute, plump abdomen. Plus they expend more energy in the wild as well. As you have seen by them running around the road! lol

I think the first thing to do for them is just keep moving them off the road so they don't go splat.

Birds often drop prey from pretty high distances and know exactly where the weak points are on all sorts of animals it seems. Tarantulas also have to deal with feral cats, other wild beasts and the like as well. Not an easy life. I'm new and never dealt with a tarantula injury but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will step in. There's probably some other posts on the subject scattered around the forums as well :). Good luck.