L. Violaceopes :Which Home?

noelr

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, so I recently acquired a 1 3/4 " Lampropelma Violaceopes spiderling. Little guy is fast as hell too. He almost escaped just a couple minutes ago. My question is after researching them online, it was my understanding they are an arboreal species. So I bought an enclosure like so, but he turned out to burrow instead despite the nice, tall container. Is this just a spiderling thing or will he always do this? I don't expect you to know their exact form of behavior as they differ between slings, but I would like to hear from someone who knows for sure just how avid these guys are at burrowing and if anyone has had one where they actually make a home up top, such as the avicularia versicolor. Thanks in advance!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have LV's, sling thru adult, and all live in burrows under cork bark. People try to force spiders into man-made categories, but they choose the best place for a retreat, and some can be pretty flexible on where that is, especially in captvity. With fast species, it's especially important that they have a retreat they feel secure in.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With one exception, an avic, all my "arboreal" tarantulas have built retreats on or in the substrate. As Poec pointed out, they rarely fit into neat, man-made categories.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
With one exception, an avic, all my "arboreal" tarantulas have built retreats on or in the substrate.
+1. I have 32 species of arboreals, OW and NW. All have retreats on or in the substrate except the Avics.

noelr

Arachnosquire
Thanks for responding! Yes, I realize that now haha. I haven't messed with him though, but I'll have to find a more suitable container for me to feed him.

---------- Post added 06-26-2014 at 12:52 PM ----------

Thanks !:D

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I kept mine in a 1 quart tupperware up until a few weeks ago. Its about to molt (or at least due for one), and I'm guessing it will be past 3", so that little container was getting cramped. My LV is my favorite T. It is a great T to watch too. Every time it molted, it would rebuild its burrow to be even wider, it was fascinating. And the power and speed to which it would snatch prey is amazing.