Tarantula w/ big appetite

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Greetings folks, ive been strongly considering venturing into the T realm. I want something docile to me in terms on not flicking hairs. Someone said, go "old" world, I dunno. I do know that I want something with a hardy appetite and something terrestrial that gets to a decent size 6in min. Any of you have any suggestions ? What's interested me in my search thus far is the Chaco gold knee and the Brazilian Pink Salmon . I don't need to hand my T. excessively I just need no hassle when cleaning and during observation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a ten gallon already, want something that could thrive in there.
P.s. I'm not into the pet hole deal for the most part. I've ruled out rose haired, pink toe and mexican red knee due to reputation of the aforementioned.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the world of Ts!

Do NOT start with Old World Ts, they're fast and pack a nasty bite. If you really want something with no hairs there are some New World species to choose from.

I've heard Aphonopelma urticating hairs don't cause any reaction in humans. None of my Aphonopelmas have ever haired me so I can't confirm this firsthand. They won't reach your 6" requirement though.

B. albopilosum is a docile species that rarely kicks hairs (none of mine ever have, at least). I consider them great starter tarantulas, hardy, voracious eaters, active (for a tarantula anyway).

Last edited:

arrjay123

Arachnopeon
hmm no dont go for red knee i had red knee but if flick hair i recommend you a chaco golden knee good for beggenirs and dont flick hair

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Thanks I've researched and found some compatibility with the Chaco. I'm going to check on those poet referenced. Still hadn't got the scientific names down yet. I would compromise some size for appetite and some visibility.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any tarantula that has urticating hairs can flick (or slap) those hairs. Some species are less inclined to, but not all individuals read that chapter.
Either Grammostola pulchripes or pulchra do fit your criteria. They can, however, go through fasting periods, though not usually as extreme as their rosea cousins. G. pulchripes may have a little faster growth rate than pulchra, though growth rates can also be affected by husbandry.

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
G. pulchripes may have a little faster growth rate than pulchra, though growth rates can also be affected by husbandry.
G. pulchripes has a MUCH faster growth rate compared to G. pulchra. At tiny sling level, it's practically 2:1.

shamilt1

Arachnopeon
I would recommend P nigricolor. Eat like pigs and are out all the time. Not a bad hair kicker. (at least mine are not).

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. pulchripes has a MUCH faster growth rate compared to G. pulchra. At tiny sling level, it's practically 2:1.
I only have my limited population to go by.
0.1 G. pulchripes #1 0.25 inch to 4.0 inch diagonal legspan in 31 months (8 molts) > average 0.12" per month
1.0 G. pulchripes #2 0.5 inch to 2.0 inch 10 months (6 molts) > 0.15" per month
1.0 G. pulchra #1 2.5 inch to 6.5+ inch (MM) in 45 months (5 molts) > 0.08" per month
1.0 G. pulchra #2 1.5 inch to 4.0 inch in 28 months (3 molts) > 0.09" per month
For S&G, I'll throw in my G. rosea sling:
0.0.1 G. rosea 0.5 inch to 2.0 inch in 20 months (3 molts) > 0.075" per month

This isn't really a fair comparison since slings molt more frequently than juveniles or subadults and I've never raised a G. pulchra from a tiny sling. Growth rates are also dependent on husbandry. All of my Grammostola are kept the same. In my spider room, G. pulchripes have a little faster growth rate than G. pulchra.... :) Noticeable difference but not dramatic.

David VB

Arachnosquire
What about L. parahybana? They get big, eat everything you throw at them and in my experience don't flick their hairs that easily. They rather flee (that is : walk away ^^) than 'attack' ;)

cold blood

Staff member
P nigricolor stay relatively small don't they ?
Most definitely not! They can reach 9" and are one of the larger of the genus, which is filled with large species.

Seriously good appetites. I have a 1" sling, which is a real beaut by the way, that attacks everything. I housed it in an enclosure that I thought was a bit big, didn't matter, it tackles every prey item offered instantly. I fill the water dish with a syringe, and it runs over and attacks the water with regularity. Always out in the open, even as a sling...not very skittish, either. Quickly becoming my favorite t.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
What about L. parahybana? They get big, eat everything you throw at them and in my experience don't flick their hairs that easily. They rather flee (that is : walk away ^^) than 'attack' ;)
LP is a bad choice for handling, they grow fast and eat hearty, but don't like to be touched :embarrassed:

awiec

Arachnoprince
For your desires a 5-6 inch G.pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) is your best bet, as anything smaller a 10 gallon will be too big for it. Here is why the other species suggested are a bad idea:

P.nigricolor- This genus is fantastic but does not want to be held, ever. My P.sp Platyomma (same genus) does not like any interaction, during the entire rehouse process it smacked and thumped the entire time; not a good candidate for holding.
LP-Grow fast and will not want to be held either, they are pretty dang fast too and will hair you.
Brachypelma genus (Red Knees and their ilk)-This genus can be docile but can be notorious for hairs, they also don't get as massive as you want.

So in conclusion a G.pulchripes is the best for you: they are relatively cheap, readily available, grow to massive sizes, are pretty hardy, are out often and generally have a pleasant disposition (besides mine that is).

cold blood

Staff member
In the original post the op mentions no desire for handling, even saying "don't need to hand[le]". He just doesn't want a big hassle when re-housing or doing maintenence.;)

According to his profile he already has Vietnamese pedes, which probably trump all species mentioned in terms of aggressiveness.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I'll vote for G. Pulchra. Always out, curious, one of my best and most consistent eaters, likely docile enough to handle if I wanted to, and will get big and attractive.

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
I too can vouch for the G. pulchripes. They get on the larger side, and they love to eat. Also from what I've been they tolerate handling pretty well for a tarantula.