Substrate gaining mold HELP

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Hi. as the title says the substrate where my b smithi is is gaining mold. the substrate is coco fibre

Can someone tell me what i can do?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'd be much more concerned that that happened in a B.smithi container at all. Is the sub kept moist? Because it should not be. Is there adequate ventilation? For now, remove the moldy sub, let the sub dry out and make sure to remove food remains asap. Moisture plus decaying matter (food remains) is what generally causes mold to crop up; poor ventilation plus moisture will also do it.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Are you sure it is mold and not webbing? How wet is the substrate? Brachypelmas prefer dry substrate.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
i've been told to keep the substrate moist, for the ventillation i keep a window always opened. i tried to search for the cricket i gave her yesterday but i didnt find it. they usually eat the cricket?

PsyC

Arachnosquire
i dont think so because the mold was just on a orchid bark

---------- Post added 06-26-2014 at 04:15 PM ----------

Are you sure it is mold and not webbing? How wet is the substrate? Brachypelmas prefer dry substrate.
the substrate is not very wet, i just spray with water once a week

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
i've been told to keep the substrate moist, for the ventillation i keep a window always opened. i tried to search for the cricket i gave her yesterday but i didnt find it. they usually eat the cricket?
Um...when we say ventilation we're referring to the container's ventilation...not your room's...

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
Sounds like there are a few problems going on. Just make it easier for the rest of us and put up a picture so we can see what you are working with.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
20140626_174911.jpg

i know that the enclosure is a little too big for her, im already looking for a smaller one

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Drying the substrate will kill the mold. Adding isopods will help keep it down, they eat mold, plus they eat the stuff that causes mold like feeder carcasses and bolus.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Drying the substrate will kill the mold. Adding isopods will help keep it down, they eat mold, plus they eat the stuff that causes mold like feeder carcasses and bolus.
and the isopods wont mess up with the T? the T will eat them? how long do i leave the isopods in the tank?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Another thing to consider would be trading the bark hide for something inorganic like plastic or glazed clay(un-glazed terracotta pots mold too :( )
Even when baked, I get mold from cork bark, so it is only used in the driest enclosures

---------- Post added 06-26-2014 at 10:07 AM ----------

and the isopods wont mess up with the T? the T will eat them? how long do i leave the isopods in the tank?
They will cohabitate with the T. They are harmless to the T. If the T eats a couple, which is rare, BFD

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Isopods and Brachypelmas (and other dry T's) don't mix. Isopods need damp substrate. They will die without the moisture.

Where is the mold in that pic, OP?

PsyC

Arachnosquire
i already removed the mold but it was near the waterdish

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Ah. Keep in mind that, except in the most extreme cases, mold is not a problem and mostly an aesthetic issue.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I get that too, I just change the location of the water dish every couple weeks to let it dry up
Our humidity can be as low as 10% here in Cali so I have to overfill my water dishes a little

skippydude

Arachnobaron
here in UK the humidity in the air normaly is 50%
That is perfect for B smithi, you probably don't need a water dish at all
Empty it and see if the tarantula starts hovering over it. Hovering over a water dish is how a T tells you it needs more humidity.

---------- Post added 06-26-2014 at 10:57 AM ----------

I would definitely quit over filling the dish