S. Alternans Laid eggs!

ABbuggin

Arachnopeon
Okies,

I was plesantly surprised today when I saw my large S. Alternans had laid eggs. Not a rare/spectacular pede, but a nice surprise non-the-less :biggrin: Got a few Q's though as 'pedes aren't my specialty.

1) Can pedes store sperm? She was collected a year ago. She has shed once since then and been kept in isolation.

2) How long until the eggs hatch?

3) Pretty sure I don't feed her and just leave her alone right? She's pretty full as her last meal was a gigantic lizard.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Congrats!

1) Yes

2) Somewhere in the 4-8 week range, although they don't "hatch", as such. They will become less egg-like and eventually look like stark white versions of the adult. When they begin to leave the mother and develop color you can separate them into individual containers, feed, etc.

3) Yes, just leave her be in a quiet area and resist the urge to check up on her. ;)

ABbuggin

Arachnopeon
Thanks!

1) Once they become white, do I still wait to feed her until they have been separated?

2) How long until their first shed and they separate?

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
No problem.

You can feed her but she is chunky and will be fine until the plings are separated, esp. if you're feeding live(don't want her or prey thrashing about delicate newborns).

They will start to take on a brown and blue coloration as they separate. First molt will come some time after that...sorry, I forget how long.

ABbuggin

Arachnopeon
Sweet, thanks for the info. Never expected to be in this situation as never really cared to breed them.

She did decide to begin chomping on the eggs. I caught her in the act so I was able to save about 10. I figured the chances are low of them becoming little fellas, but it's worth a shot.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Yeah, likely infertile and I don't know that they'd survive without her care in any case.