So many T's, so few I can buy at once...Help?

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I'm going to be ordering more Ts tomorrow. Will definitely be getting a couple of A. genic slings, but past that there are just way too many options to choose from. I've kinda got kid-in-a-candy-store syndrome going on here. :giggle:

My plan is to stick to new world species for now. No point diving into the deep end and biting off more than I can chew, right? I'm looking to add about four or five slings to my collection with this order. Possibly more or less depending on prices.

Here are a few of the other species I've been considering:

Acanthoscurria ferina
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma verdezi (leaning heavily toward this one if I end up going for a brachy)
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Grammostola rosea RCF
Lasiodora parahybana
Nhandu carapoensis
Nhandu coloratovillosus

I'm hoping to get a mix of slow growers and fast growers. If there are any other new world species anyone thinks I should consider, please speak up and mention them. I also need to start getting my list ready for the upcoming Reptile Breeders Expo so even if I can't get them from the dealer I'm making this order from, I'll probably be able to find it at the Expo.

So help me out people! What are your favorite New World species and what do you love about them? There are just way too many to choose from and experiences from owners are far more helpful to me than the questionable care sheets circulating the web. Any input would be appreciated. :)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I'm going to be ordering more Ts tomorrow. Will definitely be getting a couple of A. genic slings, but past that there are just way too many options to choose from. I've kinda got kid-in-a-candy-store syndrome going on here. :giggle:

My plan is to stick to new world species for now. No point diving into the deep end and biting off more than I can chew, right? I'm looking to add about four or five slings to my collection with this order. Possibly more or less depending on prices.

Here are a few of the other species I've been considering:

Acanthoscurria ferina
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma verdezi (leaning heavily toward this one if I end up going for a brachy)
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Grammostola rosea RCF
Lasiodora parahybana
Nhandu carapoensis
Nhandu coloratovillosus

I'm hoping to get a mix of slow growers and fast growers. If there are any other new world species anyone thinks I should consider, please speak up and mention them. I also need to start getting my list ready for the upcoming Reptile Breeders Expo so even if I can't get them from the dealer I'm making this order from, I'll probably be able to find it at the Expo.

So help me out people! What are your favorite New World species and what do you love about them? There are just way too many to choose from and experiences from owners are far more helpful to me than the questionable care sheets circulating the web. Any input would be appreciated. :)
I love the Acanthoscurria genus great eaters beautiful colors and they grow fast

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I love the Acanthoscurria genus great eaters beautiful colors and they grow fast
Yeah, that's what sold me on getting at least one of them. I want to have lots of big Ts in my collection too, and from what I understand some of these guys can get pretty beefy.

...I'm starting to think that the Acanthoscurria ferina I mentioned is less of a maybe on my list and more of a must-have. The picture they have attached to the pricelist on my favorite dealer's site is just too cute. So fuzzy! :giggle:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah, that's what sold me on getting at least one of them. I want to have lots of big Ts in my collection too, and from what I understand some of these guys can get pretty beefy.

...I'm starting to think that the Acanthoscurria ferina I mentioned is less of a maybe on my list and more of a must-have. The picture they have attached to the pricelist on my favorite dealer's site is just too cute. So fuzzy! :giggle:
If you want a little challenge P. cancerides or P. sp Purple are big bulky NW terrestrials with a great appetite and grow fast. As from your list I can suggest the following to get a nice mix of growers:
B.verdezi- I do not own any brachys yet but you might as well get the one brachy you do want as they do grow slow
GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)-These are medium-fast growers and go through a ton of different colors, they can be a little skittish but mine is generally well behaved and loves to web and eat. Also are very hardy and if you get a male they are always in demand.
Either Nhandu-I have chromatus and it is always eager to eat and I believe they are in the medium-fast territory. Mine is still .5 but I have never had a problem feeding it as it will take either pre-kill or crickets its size (I don't do this often though).
LP-Very fast grower, hardy, cheap and are good show Ts from what I've read.

All of the above are pretty hardy and are more arid species so you can care for them all the same.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
The only P. cancerides the online dealer I've been ordering through has is a 4" female that's way out of my price range. I'll keep my eyes peeled for smaller, cheaper specimens at the show though. How about the Tapinauchenius genus? Can anyone tell me their thoughts on them? There are lots of beautiful Tapis available through my online dealer, but NW or not, they look like they might be a bit beyond my experience level.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
The only P. cancerides the online dealer I've been ordering through has is a 4" female that's way out of my price range. I'll keep my eyes peeled for smaller, cheaper specimens at the show though. How about the Tapinauchenius genus? Can anyone tell me their thoughts on them? There are lots of beautiful Tapis available through my online dealer, but NW or not, they look like they might be a bit beyond my experience level.
how much was that 4" female?

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want a little challenge P. cancerides or P. sp Purple are big bulky NW terrestrials with a great appetite and grow fast. As from your list I can suggest the following to get a nice mix of growers:
B.verdezi- I do not own any brachys yet but you might as well get the one brachy you do want as they do grow slow
GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)-These are medium-fast growers and go through a ton of different colors, they can be a little skittish but mine is generally well behaved and loves to web and eat. Also are very hardy and if you get a male they are always in demand.
Either Nhandu-I have chromatus and it is always eager to eat and I believe they are in the medium-fast territory. Mine is still .5 but I have never had a problem feeding it as it will take either pre-kill or crickets its size (I don't do this often though).
LP-Very fast grower, hardy, cheap and are good show Ts from what I've read.

All of the above are pretty hardy and are more arid species so you can care for them all the same.
Good ideas here...
I totally get the enthusiasm, but, as a friendly heads-up, they do grow up and you can suddenly have more spiders than you really want. The other side of my opinion is: tarantulas are not as dynamic as other pets, they are very subtle critters. Another way to say that is, they don't do all that much, so what I do to fill that "pet satisfaction" need is to get a lot of them and then one of them is always doing something...:) I love collecting T's and scorpions because there are so many to choose from and they aren't going away any time soon so I will eventually have everything I desire - so shall you... Last thing, do look into their growth rates and do get a mixed growth rate collection. It makes the rehoming a bit easier. Enjoy!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'd go with GBB and some LPs. LPs get so big and at least in my own experience, have a lot of personality. And GBBs are just, well, gorgeous. I'm also curious what they've got that P.cancerides priced at that it's out over several slings. Here in the US, they're one of the cheaper species, at just about every size.

awiec

Arachnoprince
They are very fast and can be very flighty. My juvie T.gigas whom I've raised from .5 inch has generally been calm as I have made some extra accommodations for it, a larger tank, these can't flick hairs so all they can do is run or bite. I suggest getting some avics or the faster NW terrestrials before getting a tap as they are the fastest genus of T. These do molt very often so you will get a large and fast T within a year, which can be a little intimidating, but you ultimately know your skill level.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
how much was that 4" female?
$125. I'm sure it's not as expensive as it could be, it's just more than I can spend on one T right now. Once I slow down in my collecting I'll snatch up a few of the pricier Ts on my wishlist.

Good ideas here...
I totally get the enthusiasm, but, as a friendly heads-up, they do grow up and you can suddenly have more spiders than you really want. The other side of my opinion is: tarantulas are not as dynamic as other pets, they are very subtle critters. Another way to say that is, they don't do all that much, so what I do to fill that "pet satisfaction" need is to get a lot of them and then one of them is always doing something...:) I love collecting T's and scorpions because there are so many to choose from and they aren't going away any time soon so I will eventually have everything I desire - so shall you... Last thing, do look into their growth rates and do get a mixed growth rate collection. It makes the rehoming a bit easier. Enjoy!
Yeah, believe it or not this is me toned down LOL...my thinking behind getting a handful of slings this time around is I figure at least a couple of them are either going to end up being males, or die. This way I can be assured that my collection will still grow. :) After the Reptile Breeders Expo I'm going to wait a while before buying more Ts, because you're totally right. I can see myself getting really carried away with this hobby if I'm not careful.

On a side note, I settled on which Ts I'm ordering and e-mailed the online dealer. Barring unforeseen circumstances I will soon be in possession of:

One 3/4" Acanthoscurria ferina
Two 1/4" Acanthoscurria geniculata
One 3/4" Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
And last but not least one 1/4" Nhandu chromatus

Opening that package is going to be so much fun. :biggrin:

Faster than the speed of light. My T. gigas is still a juvenile so not exhibiting anything defensive yet...but I've been warned.
Hahaha I suspected they might be. When I was looking at pictures on the dealer site my first thoughts were: That looks all kinds of fast and all kinds of mean.

awiec

Arachnoprince
$125. I'm sure it's not as expensive as it could be, it's just more than I can spend on one T right now. Once I slow down in my collecting I'll snatch up a few of the pricier Ts on my wishlist.

Yeah, believe it or not this is me toned down LOL...my thinking behind getting a handful of slings this time around is I figure at least a couple of them are either going to end up being males, or die. This way I can be assured that my collection will still grow. :) After the Reptile Breeders Expo I'm going to wait a while before buying more Ts, because you're totally right. I can see myself getting really carried away with this hobby if I'm not careful.

On a side note, I settled on which Ts I'm ordering and e-mailed the online dealer. Barring unforeseen circumstances I will soon be in possession of:

Hahaha I suspected they might be. When I was looking at pictures on the dealer site my first thoughts were: That looks all kinds of fast and all kinds of mean.
My T.gigas isn't mean per say but it will certainly show you its teleporting powers when upset.

As for your selection I have both the Nhandu and GBB and both are very nice species. I got my Nhandu at 1/4 and it had no issue taking out pinheads, baby roaches and fruit flies and will eat pre kill with gusto if you it need to.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron

That $125 sounds very expensive in my opinion also.

I think it should be $80 or less especially since it doesn't have that beautiful purple color the males do.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
..... I've kinda got kid-in-a-candy-store syndrome going on here. :giggle:
LOL..... Don't worry, Lyth, we are ALL susceptible to that.

Of those on your list, I only have experience with two, G. rosea & L. parahybana.

As any rosie owner will tell you, no two are EVER the same, in terms of personality. Some are very docile, while others can be screaming bashees from Hell. It's a real crap shoot. Having said that, I love the two that I have. One is fairly active while the other is not. Mine are not very aggressive hunters (It's more like, "Oh, there's a cricket..... Dum dee dum dum... okay... munch munch..") :)

My LP, on the other hand, is a very aggressive hunter, and very active. She was nearly full grown when I got her last fall, but I understand they grow quite quickly. Mine is quite cranky, so I don't handle her.

A few other NWs that you might consider:

- G. pulchra: My absolute favourite. Very active, aggressive hunter, loves to plow up her substrate all the time, and mine is very docile when it comes to handling, if you are inclined to that. Not a fast grower, but she'll grow into a hardy, solid black T. If you follow Arachnoboards on Facebook, check out pictures of Kev MacMahon's pulchra, Jet. She's gorgeous. :)

- G. pulchripes: Now here is one that WILL grow really quickly into a very large T, as big as an LP, and has a reputation for being more tractable than the latter.

- B. albopilosum: Can't forget the Curly Hair. Not the most attractive of T's, but very active and generally very mellow. Grow to a decent size too.

- B. emilia: Another favourite. Colourful, and oh-so-mellow. She'd stay cuddled up against my thumb for hours if I let her. You'd have to put it in your will, as they live upwards of 35-40 years. :)

- B. smithi: On my wish list. A very colourful and very large & hardy T. A real must for any NW collection.

Good luck, and let us know what you get. :)

Rob

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
'So many T's, so few I can buy at once'...are you aware that you can build a collection at little, if any, cost by breeding? That's how a number of us do it. Sell/trade your slings for new species.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
My new rule is when a tarantula molts I can buy a new tarantula :D. I'll be buying my next from a forum member.

Yeah I think my wife may put an end to that rule in short order >_>. Thankfully she loves her G. Rosea rcf sling. Mawhaha.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
That $125 sounds very expensive in my opinion also.

I think it should be $80 or less especially since it doesn't have that beautiful purple color the males do.
It should be noted that the T hobby in general is a bit more expensive in Canada. If an American dealer were selling that same P. cancerides it probably would go for around $80.

'So many T's, so few I can buy at once'...are you aware that you can build a collection at little, if any, cost by breeding? That's how a number of us do it. Sell/trade your slings for new species.
I do have plans to start breeding in a few years, but for now I'm not confident enough in my skill level to take that on. If I start breeding Ts I want to do it right, and produce good, healthy specimens to give back to the hobby. Heck, I've even entertained fantasies about specializing in breeding the more endangered species to help conservation efforts. That would be pretty darn rewarding I think. :D

Tivia

Arachnopeon
I love my GBB, so I definitely recommend that one. Watching the colors change as it matures has been simply fascinating. My friends have been very tolerant of my many pictures and videos I post of Buggie. Only about 3 really understand and share my love of T's. I just got 3 more (2 versis and a Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large) and I'm loving them, too. I love brightly colored T's. :love:

I don't have plans to have a large collection.... but I am hitting up the White Plains show on July 6th and it can't really hurt to just look, right?

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I love my GBB, so I definitely recommend that one. Watching the colors change as it matures has been simply fascinating. My friends have been very tolerant of my many pictures and videos I post of Buggie. Only about 3 really understand and share my love of T's. I just got 3 more (2 versis and a Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large) and I'm loving them, too. I love brightly colored T's. :love:

I don't have plans to have a large collection.... but I am hitting up the White Plains show on July 6th and it can't really hurt to just look, right?
It's funny, after I got Ginger and realized that one just wasn't going to cut it, I started learning everything I could about Ts and the different kinds available in the hobby. At first I was only interested in T's that I could handle and "show off" with, and when I looked at the GBB I knew immediately from the speed and bright colors that it probably would -not- fall into the handleable category. I even said to my S.O., "Man they're gorgeous, but I don't think I'd ever want one."

My oh my, but how quickly one's tune can change. :laugh: It's been a highly educational few months. I've found a new passion and I've come to appreciate and admire every T I learn about for its individual qualities. I'm not concerned about whether or not I can handle the Ts I add to my collection because handling is not a priority for me any more. I'm more interested in providing a natural, comfortable and yet stimulating environment for my T's because I want to be able to observe their natural behaviors. I want to add a little bit of everything to my collection now...beefy terrestrial tanks, colorful old-worlders, giants, dwarfs and everything in between. I have an addiction to learning, and having a diverse collection offers me the opportunity to learn lots. :biggrin:

I'm even thinking about going back to school for post-secondary education in arachnology and entomology. A whole new world of possibilities has opened up for me because of one special little G. rosea. :love:

Tivia

Arachnopeon
I never had the desire to handle or show off my T's. I just enjoy caring for them and observing them. Often, I'll toss in a cricket to Buggie and sit down with my own dinner and eat, just watching him/her eat. I have many dinner dates with my T's and reptiles. My dog eats too fast to wait for me, lol!

You sound a lot like me, lol! I certainly have done a lot of learning in the past few months!! I think it would be great if you went back to school to learn more about entomology. That's admirable. :)