Anyone breeding A. moderatum?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My LPS got in some very cute (and presumably feisty) WC juvies, such temptation! I'd really like to avoid WC when possible though, but the problem is I don't think I've never seen CB A. moderatums for sale.

Despite the low demand and ability to collect them in the wild, I've seen other local Aphonopelma species captive bred. Is this species difficult to breed in captivity or something?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
There doesn't seem to be very many in the hobby in general, WC or not. I'd pounce on that. Maybe you can breed them yourself in the future? : D

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really? That's so strange, considering they can be collected in-state. I wonder why they're uncommon. They've been in the shop for several weeks now so I guess they probably aren't gonna drop dead the moment I buy them...

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'd jump all over it, its better that they go to a good home than to some 10 year old kid or someone who wants to pull a prank. Eventually there could be restrictions on their collection so I'd suggest getting them now so a good gene pool for CB will be available. I'd fly down there right now and get them if I could but alas I'm kinda broke.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This shop's pretty good and knows what they're doing with Ts (they do a lot of in-house breeding), I doubt they'd give such a temperamental species to a kid.

Next time I stop by for crickets I'll see if they still have any of them left.

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
This shop's pretty good and knows what they're doing with Ts (they do a lot of in-house breeding), I doubt they'd give such a temperamental species to a kid.

Next time I stop by for crickets I'll see if they still have any of them left.
If I may be so bold, in what city are you located?

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
I actually bought my A. moderatum from zookeeper not too long ago. I'd say he/she is roughly 3 inches DLS. They always have a few in stock it seems.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet! How's his/her attitude? I'm a bit worried about A. moderatum's reputation, hahaha

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
I didn't know they had a "reputation". All I can tell you is that mine is fairly skittish, but not very fast. He/She is quite easy for me to handle. Also hasn't kicked any hairs, which is interesting.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's good to hear! The TKG describes it as "frequently extremely defensive" and says it will "bite on most opportunities" so I'd been hesitant to get one hahaha

hairbug66

Arachnopeon
Austin! Zookeeper is my LPS of choice.
Thanks! Austin's not too far from me. I recently collected a young female Aphonopelma hentzi about 20 miles west of the Capitol. My kids and I found seven, five of which were pinky to thumbnail in size. There may not be a cooler looking Aphonopelma than the moderatum though. IMO.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
There may not be a cooler looking Aphonopelma than the moderatum though. IMO.
I couldn't agree with you more. Which is why someone needs to get on that breeding project. ASAP. :3 Or at least explain why they're so uncommon in the hobby. Given their appearance, you'd think the demand would be there; especially as compared to something like a chalcodes-which is so prolific in the hobby.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! Austin's not too far from me. I recently collected a young female Aphonopelma hentzi about 20 miles west of the Capitol. My kids and I found seven, five of which were pinky to thumbnail in size. There may not be a cooler looking Aphonopelma than the moderatum though. IMO.
Cool! I haven't seen any around where I live, but I hear there was one spotted at a nearby Starbucks recently.

A. bicoloratum blows moderatum out of the water IMO.
I actually prefer moderatums gold to A. bicoloratum's black and orange, but I may be banned for saying that hahaha
Maybe I need to meet an A. bicoloratum in person to really be blown away by it.

I couldn't agree with you more. Which is why someone needs to get on that breeding project. ASAP. :3 Or at least explain why they're so uncommon in the hobby. Given their appearance, you'd think the demand would be there; especially as compared to something like a chalcodes-which is so prolific in the hobby.
That's why I suspected they may be difficult to breed in captivity, but I'd really like if someone who has bred (or attempted to breed) them can refute or confirm this.

I'm gonna go get crickets tomorrow, hopefully they've still got some A. moderatums around so I can at least experience their attitude firsthand.

cold blood

Staff member
If that LPS has them regularly, you guys in the area need to buy and keep buying and start a serious breeding project together...all the pieces are laid out for you to help all in the hobby get slings! I hope all you interested parties in the area can get together or at least in communication and keep each other informed as to each others growth/maturity. Good luck to all of you good Texans!

They may not be my favorite, but they're still pretty dog gone sweet and waaaay more rare in the hobby than they should be.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never bred spiders before, only millipedes (which is waaay easier). I'm not sure if I'm up to that challenge yet, but I guess 2" juvies wouldn't reach breeding age for many years. If any other Texans are interested in this though please chime in!

cold blood

Staff member
I've never bred spiders before, only millipedes (which is waaay easier). I'm not sure if I'm up to that challenge yet, but I guess 2" juvies wouldn't reach breeding age for many years. If any other Texans are interested in this though please chime in!
Neither have I, but its my understanding that the t's do all the breeding.;) Plus with a slow growing species, its not like you're gonna be breeding this week, y'all got plenty of time.:)

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Neither have I, but its my understanding that the t's do all the breeding.;) Plus with a slow growing species, its not like you're gonna be breeding this week, y'all got plenty of time.:)
I guess I was thinking more the eggsac/sling care would be a lot of work. Last year the LPS's B. albo laid 1400 eggs, it must have been a nightmare to sort that many slings! But you're right, I'll have lots of time.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I got one, it's 2" DLS and very cute. Not nearly as fierce as I expected, the petshop manager said "naw they aren't mean" and picked it up. It raised its butt in protest and that was it. The enclosure it came in is full of sand, which seems way too heavy and useless for burrowing so I'll replace it with a sand/cocofiber mix tonight and get some pictures.

Now I gotta save up to buy their other one...