My first babies.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I just recieved and housed my first ever batch of slings.

Acanthoscurria geniculata
Brachypelma bohemi
Brachypelma smithi
Lasiodora parahybana

I'm so excited to see them grow and learn to hunt. (hopefully they'll survive that long)

This isn't a seeking info thread as I've spent the last 3 months researching sling care and will continue to do so, I just wanted to tell somebody.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm so excited to see them grow and learn to hunt. (hopefully they'll survive that long)
They're all pretty hardy and easy to care for, you shouldn't have any issues with survival. Nice haul!

awiec

Arachnoprince
The trick I use is just to put a few drops of water on the soil or wet some sphagnum moss. As long as you switch up where your wet spot is, the sling should stay hydrated and you won't have any mold. I wet sub about twice a week as my house is pretty dry and I shoot for twice a week feedings until they hit 1-1.5 inches.

TCVulpes

Arachnopeon
Awesome! I just got my first sling on the 17th, an Eupalaestrus campestratus (1/4"). So far the only thing I've discovered is (s)he runs from pinhead b lateralis. I have to squish their heads so they're basically dead in the evening and then at night when (s)he goes wandering, will find and eat them.

I'm hoping for survival at this point as well after reading so many stories about babies and bad molts :-(

awiec

Arachnoprince
Awesome! I just got my first sling on the 17th, an Eupalaestrus campestratus (1/4"). So far the only thing I've discovered is (s)he runs from pinhead b lateralis. I have to squish their heads so they're basically dead in the evening and then at night when (s)he goes wandering, will find and eat them.

I'm hoping for survival at this point as well after reading so many stories about babies and bad molts :-(
Its part of the hobby, I have had 18 slings with 17 of them surviving and thriving. The one that died was an A.anax of all things, it just died one day, nothing I could have done; which is very normal in the wild.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the replies lads.

So I wasn't going to offer them food on the first day but they were in transit for 2 days, so I offered each one a small piece of mealworm yesterday evening and they didn't budge, which was to be expected. My main concern before ordering them was how they would feed and I spent the night worrying about how they would even find pre-killed food but was woken up to a great suprise this morning. All four were munching away.