Seclusive Brachypelma Vagans

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
ive had her for about 6 months now, my only brachypelma, and ive never seen her out from under her corkbark. maybe im doing something wrong? I see my haplopelmas more then i see my b. vagans. is this normal behavior? i keep her dry with a water dish, feed her once a week although she usually only eats every other week. here is her enclosure:

skippydude

Arachnobaron
That's pretty normal behavior, all of my vagans stay hidden until the sun goes down

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
I forgot to mention I check all my T's a couple hours after lights out every night and I still have never seen this one. Do they normally come out at night?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I forgot to mention I check all my T's a couple hours after lights out every night and I still have never seen this one. Do they normally come out at night?
Mine do, but there is no guarantee, they are as individual in personality as people are

---------- Post added 06-27-2014 at 01:00 PM ----------

Brachys can have long pre-molts times and get reclusive when in pre-molt too. Do you reckon yours is due for a molt?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Reclusiveness is an extremely common trait in tarantulas. Now, about that tank...you need to add more substrate. That is a significant height for an, I assume adult based on the tank size, tarantula to fall-especially with the plenitude of hard objects to fall on you've got in there.

cold blood

Staff member
And maybe get rid of the mesh screen. Don't want your lil guy to get stuck and die
Or at least cover most of it, it allows too much airflow and there's not nearly enough substrate (as Belle mentioned). They like to burrow and create tunnels and rooms, yours has no opportunity to do this.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Mine do, but there is no guarantee, they are as individual in personality as people are

---------- Post added 06-27-2014 at 01:00 PM ----------

Brachys can have long pre-molts times and get reclusive when in pre-molt too. Do you reckon yours is due for a molt?
This, my Brachys disappear for a very long time when they have a molt coming. Some of my T's I very rarely see out of their burrows. last night my L. Violaceopes came out of its burrow for the first time in probably 2 months (that I've seen anyway). That was really cool to see.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My vagans stayed burrowed as slings. My remaining female (6+ inches) still loves her burrow, but is a better display spider, not as easily startled nor likely to bolt now that she has some size to her.

If you got yours as an adult or even subadult, it can take some individuals months to acclimate to a new enclosure. Or, she could just be a homebody and not care to be ogled. :)

ETA: I agree with adding more, well-packed substrate. You can partially bury a section of PVC pipe for a pre-fab non-collapsible 'burrow'. Cover about half the lid, too.

Last edited: