Male H. maculata chelicerae

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a photo of what I believe to be a MM H. maculata. I can't believe it took me this long to figure out why it keeps pacing the cage every night. I thought maybe since I had recently rehoused it, that it was just adjusting and exploring a bit. Upon closer look, I am starting to suspect it may indeed be an MM. I've noticed that the males of this species have more narrow chelicerae than the females. It almost reminds me of an Avics chelicerae.

Attachments

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I don't see any emboli though...although that could be the angle, it's hard to see under the tips of the palps in those shots.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll try to get some better shots later. I'm looking at pictures online of males and females side by side, and the females seem to be more of a pale ghostly-white and have broader chelicerae, while the males are a brownish/yellow color with much narrower chelicerae.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Obvious MM. Females don't have lateral brushes on the sides of their legs (as with Psalmos). The small chelicerae are another giveaway.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Obvious MM. Females don't have lateral brushes on the sides of their legs (as with Psalmos). The small chelicerae are another giveaway.
Ahha! For once I am right regarding sexing. Thanks poec. Didn't realize that males of this species matured so small. Then again, females only get like 5 inches if I'm correct. Well ... looks like it's time to visit the classifieds.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Agree with Poec here. I just read this and the first thing that came to my attention was the legs. Like pipe cleaner brushes. Def MM. Congrats :) I have a female but I'm going to wait for one more molt to pair her.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Without looking at the palps, I can usually spot an adult male just by his general look, the legginess. I'm not in the habit of checking for tibial spurs, as about 2 dozen genera don't have them.

I've seen one big, robust maculata MM. The rest have been small and slender.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You can tell by the palps in those photos that it is mature.

Even if you can't see the bulbs, mature male pedipalps have a very specific structure that differs greatly from those of females/immatures (lengths of the terminal segments and scopula pads for instance), and can be easily spotted from nearly every angle.

Google pics of females of this species where you can see the palps and you'll see what I mean.

Edit:
I found a post I wrote up for someone in pretty much the same position with this species.
It is more detailed and I link to photos where you can see the difference (even if the OPs photos no longer work: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...eds-day-went&p=2158316&viewfull=1#post2158316

Last edited: