It's a Grammostola pulchripes

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I always told myself I wasn't buying anymore Ts from the Grammostola genus because of how slow they grow.

However in actuality, I think the reason why I think they grow so slow is because I based every species growth rate in this genus on the growth rate of the Grammostola rosea / Chilean Rose Hair which has a tendency to stop eating randomly for lengthy periods of time. I also based the Grammostola pulchripes growth rate on what many people said on here.

However, many people on here don't feed their slings as much as I feed mine because they like to mimic the wild.

However I noticed with the right conditions and a lot of food the Grammostola pulchripes will grow at a speed I can actually deal with.

Now I'm thinking about getting two more of these slings and two Grammostola rosea*RCF I fell in love with the the RCF when I seen, HOBOs adult female that blazing red is gorgeous!

I'd love to have a Grammostola iheringi / Entre Rios but I refuse to pay $150 for a 1" T I don't want it that bad lol..

Thanks again z32upgrader you hit the species on the head that's exactly what it turns out to be but I could have sworn I ordered a G. Pulchra oh well its still going to be a beautiful adult

Here's a few pictures of my Grammostola pulchripes

cold blood

Staff member
There are several in the classifieds selling iheringi for 70 bucks. And they're all bigger than 1" if I recall correctly, more like 1.5-2".

I have a G. pulchripes and I feed probably much like yourself (and keep my t room pretty warm). Growth per molt is quite good, and they eat like piggies, but their pre-molt period is still crazy long. Mine just went from just under 3" to about 4" following a pre-molt period that lasted over 3 months. I've heard others describing smaller ones going 6 months in pre-molt. They do look great after they molt and seem to look better and better as they grow.

Curious, how long have your pre-molt periods lasted?

Looks like a pulchripes to me, just small:) Sub 2" range is my guess.

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
Anything grows fast compared to Aphonopelma species. :lol:
I can't wait to see your RCF roseas, I've been on the hunt for them.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
I'm horrible at T measurement but molted twice in my care if that helped.

I Google grammastola pulchripes sling and a photo like mine appeared
Don't trust google images for any sort of identification. A lot of times, I have seen incorrectly labeled photos because google pulls different images from forums where people are talking about species and naming them. Your spider looks darker than a pulchripes sling I used to have. My sling as only 1.25", but at that size you could still see the markings on her knees starting to show up, which I don't see on yours.

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
It looks exactly like a G. pulchripes sling of 5th or 6th instar, what are you guys on about? Big enough for the carapace to darken, but doesn't have the golden knees yet (you'll have to wait for that :))

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
There are several in the classifieds selling iheringi for 70 bucks. And they're all bigger than 1" if I recall correctly, more like 1.5-2".

I have a G. pulchripes and I feed probably much like yourself (and keep my t room pretty warm). Growth per molt is quite good, and they eat like piggies, but their pre-molt period is still crazy long. Mine just went from just under 3" to about 4" following a pre-molt period that lasted over 3 months. I've heard others describing smaller ones going 6 months in pre-molt. They do look great after they molt and seem to look better and better as they grow.

Curious, how long have your pre-molt periods lasted?

Looks like a pulchripes to me, just small:) Sub 2" range is my guess.

the first pre molt lasted from 04-25-2014 to 05-23-2014.

Second one lasted from 05-23-2014*08:24 AM to maybe about a week to 2 weeks ago so we'll say 6-16-14 give or take a few days.

I'm not sure how you feed yours cold blooded but as soon as I see a bolus in there I take it out and add a new live cricket. And my Ts are in a shed outside ALL the time so during the day the weekly heat is like 70+ all day even now at 6pm its 84 degrees.

awiec

Arachnoprince
G.iheringi are only super expensive at the big retailers, the standard is 70-75 for a 1.5 inch. I was fortunate to get my two on sale for 42 each but you have to see them in person to truly appreciate them (and then really want them) and they are thought to be the fastest growing in the genus. As for my little pulchripes it has grown .5 inch in 7 months with weekly feeding. I don't feed once a week to "simulate the wild", I feed them once a week so I don't have to dig out a roach or cricket as often when they are not hungry. Its all personal preference, I have a ton of fast growing species so having more of a slow burner like puchripes does not bother me much.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
It looks like it's 1 molt away from getting fuzzy,and getting those golden knees.Mine just went through this stage.Although their abdomens were glossy for a while,maybe 3-4 weeks,they fed readily up until a week before their molts.I'm raising 5 of them right now,all sacmates.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
I have a G Pulchripes that is going for its 3rd month in Premolt... makes me crazy...

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Since there are no tell tale signs of why Ts do this I'm hoping it's because it'll be molting and not because it wants to be left alone.

the last time it molted was around 6-16-14 so maybe it's time to molt again:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Not sure what I'm looking for but its not out of the ordinary for a T to make some modifications to their cage to feel more safe for molting.

cold blood

Staff member
Not sure what I'm looking for but its not out of the ordinary for a T to make some modifications to their cage to feel more safe for molting.
In fact its not really that unusual even if they are not molting. On its own, this one behavior is practically meaningless IME. Could be preparing for a molt, but that is really just speculation....could just as easily want to be left alone.

awiec

Arachnoprince
In fact its not really that unusual even if they are not molting. On its own, this one behavior is practically meaningless IME. Could be preparing for a molt, but that is really just speculation....could just as easily want to be left alone.
I should have rephrased that, its not out of the ordinary if the T does ANY modification to its enclosure; I get a little worried when they don't do anything personally.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My first pulchripes was a 1/4" sling (freebie). After a couple meals it sealed itself in it's burrow for 2 months during the winter. I figured it had died. Emerged one day freshly molted and twice as big. The next shed was one month sealed in.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
lol you aren't looking for anything I just enjoy posting and keeping people updated on some of my species. I put it here instead of making a new one. I was just talking to be talking

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Yesterday he/she molted, that was a quick waiting time for a Grammastola, better than a rose hair any day lol.

The last time it molted was 6-16-14 today is 8-2-14.

so it seems like it molts every two months not much time at all. it blocked it self in on 7-27-14 molt and unblocked it a little yesterday which was 8-1-14 so just a week blocked off.

colors don't seem all that different nor does the size maybe it'll look different stretched out fully.