My Scolopendra subspinipes just laid a clutch of eggs...

Emotionlessness

Arachnosquire
Hi guys I am currently living in China and picked myself up one of these from a bait shop and was being kept in a big bucket with other S.s.m so I guess thats how it became gravid.

However I wasn't expecting this to happen and I am unprepared for it, knowledge wise and equipment wise.
The internet is really slow where I am so research is difficult, prehaps you guys could help me here?

How many pedes am I to expect here?
How long will it take for them to hatch out?
Should humidity be increased?
Should I offer the AF food still?
Should I leave the eggs with the pede? If not when should I remove them?
When the pedes hatch will they be climbing? I currently have the AF in a kritter keeper.

If there is anything else I am forgetting please let me know!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The only things you should do are make sure the kritter keeper is in a quiet dark area where it won't be disturbed, ensure there is no escape route for the animals(kritter keepers are notoriously escapeable, esp. for an animal that can squeeze it's body into ridiculously small spaces) or the moisture...you can accomplish both by placing a moist hand towel in between the kk's lid and enclosure, making sure it will shut all the way. Moisten the hand towel as necessary. They should not be able to climb if the substrate is far enough from the top and the sides of the container clean. Mom will take care of the rest and will not require food for about 6-8 weeks.

Emotionlessness

Arachnosquire
Oops was mutilans should be in the titles.

Thank you for your reply Zonbonzovi, I have another question if that alright.

Is there any reason the mother would eat the eggs? I noticed today she is in her hide not wrapped around anything and I don't think she has buried them (the sub is sand, all I could find in China) the sub doesn't look over turned, but I have not disturbed just incase they are.

Anyone have thoughts on this, it would be a shame if she got the eggs herself.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The two most likely scenarios are that they were infertile or she was disturbed(excessive vibration, light, etc.). With that species if she is no longer wrapped around the eggs they are probably eaten :(

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
You'll probably have to wait another year for eggs. I tend to believe they do not know if their eggs are infertile.