Chinese Praying Mantis - Tenodere sinensis

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi all,

I am hosting an event for a local community thing for kids about invertebrates and one of the defining aspects is that I plan to bring live Chinese praying mantids Tenodera sinensis for viewing. I had started with 4 nymphs, but now I have only two mantids left. One is a cripple (bad molt in which it fell off its stick prematurely and hardened with paralyzed back legs) which leaves only one "normal" one. I am afraid the crippled one will be unable to perch correctly for its final molt. I am in the north east region. Does anyone know the best places to try and hunt for wild Chinese mantids? I know it is nearly impossible to find them intentionally but I was hoping some of you might have suggestions.

Thanks!

RickVeiny

Arachnopeon
Nymphs are out at the edge of grasslands

My parents have a back field that my dad mows ~once a year and I just recently caught a mantis nymph by sweeping a net through some surrounding shrubs and tall weeds. I am in Indiana it might depend where you are located.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
This species thrives in fields of tall grass and bushes, and if you find a place where they are it's not hard to catch them by hand or sweep net. Adults like to come to lights sometimes, or can be spotted on the walls of department stores and places like that, but it's too early for them now.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I forgot about this thread until now sorry for the late reply!

Thanks for the info.