Phormictopus cancerides?

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
This male was sold to me many moons ago as Phormictopus cancerides and I was pretty sure that's what he was visually. About six months ago he got really dull brown and I was waiting for him to mature. He finally did but he lost all his purple and turned into a nice pretty gold with red setae. Was just looking for confirmation that this is indeed P cancerides. I was under the impression P cancerides would be a chocolate color with a purple carapce but I might be thinking of P sp purple.
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm not an expert on the Phormictopus genus, but I'm siding with Belle. I've seen quite a few pictures of platus and it looks pretty similar.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I've seen P sp Purple and P.cancerides males in person, this doesn't really look like neither but seeing as it might be platus, you need to get official confirmation of species, find a lady for that handsome guy and then let me know if you get any slings from it

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
The evidence is pretty strong. Looks like Phormictopus platus to me! I'm pretty bummed though; I was looking forward to pairing my cancerides females. I have 0.4 ready to go and I can't find a male. Thanks everybody!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
The evidence is pretty strong. Looks like Phormictopus platus to me! I'm pretty bummed though; I was looking forward to pairing my cancerides females. I have 0.4 ready to go and I can't find a male. Thanks everybody!
Oh goodness. o-o I wouldn't think those would be super hard to find though. Although I guess that's always the way of it.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't think those would be super hard to find though.
Right? I was happy to find someone with a handful of immature males back when I had one female, then I found a local with a male and two females ready to trade so I decided to start a breeding group. Turns out that first male was P platus. I don't remember who it is or I'd let him know.