Unusual amount of inactivity weeks after molt. Help, please!

Bm80

Arachnopeon
I'm new to the site and I thought it would be a good place to get some nice advice and answers.

So I've had my curly-hair tarantula for about two years now and I've taken care of it since it was a sling. It recently molted a few weeks ago and things seemed to go smoothly. About a week after it molted I tried to feed her a small cricket to see if it wanted to eat (it usually is after about a week), but instead it refused to eat so I took the cricket out. A few hours later, I discovered my tarantula had hid itself under its half-log and covered up the entrance with bedding. It's been there for about 2-3 weeks, only popping out once and then quickly going back shortly after I entered the room.

Also, I have no idea how it's getting water under that log; I spray by the wall next to it, hoping that some droplets reach it. I know it's moving around under there because I can get a slight glimpse of its legs if I peek around the cage. I don't want to bother it more because that could just get it to stay under there longer.

It has never done this after a molt which is why I'm a tad worried. I'm also unsure of my tarantula's gender so that may or may not be related to this issue.

So, if anyone could help me out that would be great. Should I be concerned/do your tarantulas do this too?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
As tarantulas grow they take longer and longer to recover from a molt. Depending on how large it is (two years, albos aren't as slow so I assume good-sized?) a week may not be enough time for it to fully recover. If at all possible, especially with adults, it's good to try and get a look at the fangs before attempting that first post-molt feed, to make sure the fangs are fully hardened. Most likely it felt bothered by your well-meaning attempts to feed it, because of this, and wants to be left alone. When it comes out, get a picture if you can and members should be able to help you sex it if post a good enough pic.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
I think you should keep offering it food, but I wouldn't leave anything unattended until this next molt. My Brachypelma albopilosum molts about once a year, but I've only owned her as an adult.

Mine also eats dubias. If you can stand feeding yours these, I recommend them more. They smell less with decomp and don't bite like crickets do. Many of my tarantulas molt with dubias in their enclosures but never crickets.

-AJ

---------- Post added 06-29-2014 at 08:32 PM ----------

I also agree with Belle. Color of the fangs is an important indicator when to start feeding again.

-AJ

brianp

Arachnopeon
My G. pulchra did exactly the same thing, but it was not after molting. Rather, she had been eating well and then elected, for
no apparent reason to encapsulate herself in an identical manner within her half log. I left her in there for five weeks and then
teased an opening through the debris plug that she had constructed. She emerged later that day and resumed eating within
24 hours. I can only tell you that this oddball behavior appears to have a greater purpose and you should not be alarmed. If it
is hungry/thirsty, it will eat and drink.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
How big is said T? As Belle said, the larger they get the longer they take to accept food, even if they look fully hardened some will opt to go without food longer than others, even some of my best feeders will take a month+ to accept food after a molt once they hit a decent size.

Side note: My B. albopilosum molted beginning of this month, her previous molt measures 3.75" she looks to be around 4.25" roughly now, she just took her first meal two days ago. So be assured theres no reason to worry :).

Last edited: