First time T owner (Brachypelma smithi)

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Alright guys I am brand spankin new at this. My name is Leah *Hi* and I was given a male Brachypelma smithi or the Mexican red knee from a friend. Although I asked his age she has not told me. What concerns me is, she said he hasn't eaten in about 7 months and his last molt was (she said) roughly two months after. I know its not alarming for them to go that long and his abdomen although a little small (maybe) looks healthy. I've tried feeding him a grasshopper a tree frog and some meal worms. He definitely seemed interested but aside from that seemed to careless. I'd really like a good approximation on age if possible. I would just die if sometimes happened to him!

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the hobby :D It does sound like a mature male, look for tibial hooks on the first pair of legs

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
It's a little blurry, but basing on the picture it looks a little leggy to be a female.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the highly addictive world of tarantulas!

It's not possible to tell a tarantulas age, since their size can vary depending on temperature, diet, and genetics.

Is he by chance a mature male? They often lose interest in feeding and only want to mate. Males only live about a year after maturing, but I'm sure there are many members here on the forum with eligible B. smithi bachelorettes who would be happy to put your boy to good use.

Do you think you could get a picture of his front legs and pedipalps? We'll be able to confirm if he's mature from that.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
OK I think this picture might be better, my phone camera sucks but here soon ull get some with my canon sl1. For now I hope this will do. http://i58.tinypic.com/33as788.jpg

---------- Post added 06-30-2014 at 09:09 PM ----------

Sorry I`m having a hard time uploading properly... both pictures are working.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2lw6ckz.jpg http://i59.tinypic.com/30mscwi.jpg
Alright I grabbed my camera and took a few just for you guys to help (thank you btw I feel completely stupid to it all despite 3 days of research) :). I just snapped these two real fast. I don't wanna blind the poor guy. heh.

Last edited:

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
Hm, I don't think he's mature. Definitely will be needing more experienced people here.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
He's really not that big 4 to maybe 4 1/2 inch leg span? For sure male though?? I honestly don't think the person I got him *from knew too much but that's just my opinion by the answers I got.

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
Another thing, just try and feed him crickets. Anything you catch from outside might have pesticides on them and spell bad news.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
I went to the pet store today and got him some meal worms as I read that's usually a good feed.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
No way to tell the sex from your pics. This tarantula isn't so skinny that you need to worry, it actually looks pretty healthy IMO. A big plump abdomen on a T is actually a bad thing, unless it is a gravid female

A clear shot of the abdomen(rump end) and we can tell if it is in pre-molt. If it isn't in pre-molt, you should figure out what prey item it eats because this species doesn't fast unless it is molting like G rosea does.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Well his bald spot isn't dark at all (kind of orangish) I have watched a ton of videos and I've yet to find one that completely neglects the food and even move away from it (like he does)So frustrating lol. I'd feel better if he ate something.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
She said pinky mice but last she tried he wouldn't.

---------- Post added 06-30-2014 at 10:07 PM ----------

I personally was a bit afraid to jump right into a pinky out of fear he would get hurt. I would literally cry. I have wanted one since I was a little girl :/

skippydude

Arachnobaron
From your description it is definitely not in pre-molt.

Did you happen to change or excessively clean the enclosure?

I would offer a cricket every couple days. If it doesn't eat it within a couple hours take it out so it doesn't stress the tarantula. Another thing to try is a crippled cricket( pinch its head), which can be left over night because it can no longer harm the T. If you try pre-killed or crippled crickets, remove the carcass the next day and try again a couple days later. If it's not molting or stressed by its environment it should start eating

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The good news is he's not a mature male, those pedipalps don't look to have emboli on them.

You don't need to worry much about age, this species can live a very long time. He might just be refusing food cause he's shaken up from the move.

Mice (and vertebrates in general) are unnecessary and messy, stick with bugs.

Do you by chance have the old molt? People on the forum can definitely sex from that. If not, a very clear ventral shot might be enough (Disclaimer: I have no experience whatsoever in ventral sexing)

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
I only have a piece of its last molt and it looks too old to tell (I saw some videos on how to tell by their previous molt). I sincerely hope he eats soon. I'll try to get a few more pictures here in a bit.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sounds like a case of moving syndrome. Tarantulas can take up to a month to adjust to their new home, mine generally were okay after a week but it can take longer to adjust to your schedule. Just make sure he/she has a water bowl of clean water and try feeding again in a week.