Burrow under water dish,

Lucian

Arachnopeon
Long story short my brachy is burrowing under its water dish, I'm worried about the dish falling on the tarantula, should I move the dish? What if the tarantula keeps burrowing under it? Pics to follow shortly.

PS yes I know I know what a mood question but I do not want my t to get hurt.

“No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced"

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
If you are worried, move the dish. Make sure the T has a hide, sounds like that's what its trying to make. Put a piece of bark over part of the hole, or do the half flower pot thing in a corner.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Agreed, if it is a heavy glass type dish, remove it.
I use plastic peanut butter or mayonnaise jar lids as water dishes for my larger T's and water bottle or milk jug lids for my slings and juvies

I have a tiny little 3/4" B albopilosum that does this. Gave it a nice hide and it chooses to burrow under the water bottle cap drinking dish

Lucian

Arachnopeon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404239316.300828.jpg he/she has a hide so that can't be it, but it's half excavated now so it must be moved. Will try to find a smaller dish

cold blood

Staff member
View attachment 127987 he/she has a hide so that can't be it, but it's half excavated now so it must be moved. Will try to find a smaller dish

That "hide" would work a lot better if it were buried 3/4 of the way down in the substrate. They prefer the hide to be fairly tight, and there's too much room under it for it to be used as real hide.

I'd also bury that dish so there isn't room beneath it.

I agree with others suggestions as well for both a hide and dish.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
As a matter of curiosity, how big is the tarantula in question? Something small enough to burrow under that water dish probably wouldn't consider such a large hide very secure.

Lucian

Arachnopeon
About 1 1/2 in - 2 in yeah the hides a little big for it

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
About 1 1/2 in - 2 in yeah the hides a little big for it

I suspected as much. The whole enclosure is way too big for it, which is probably why it felt the need to burrow under the safety of the large rock (waterdish).

cold blood

Staff member
I suspected as much. The whole enclosure is way too big for it, which is probably why it felt the need to burrow under the safety of the large rock (waterdish).
Agreed, plus at that size a water bottle cap would be a more appropriately sized water dish. Tighter enclosure, tighter hide, smaller dish and you'll be good to go.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My 2.5" Julie B.smithi spends it's time equally between burrowing under hide and bottle cap sized water dish same as in photo