How many of you handle your T?

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
I've heard a lot of different things, but more often than not that you shouldn't handle your T and if you do to the bare minimal. I do want to at least hold my B.Smithi even if it is with him just on my hand in his home (so he doesn't get hurt in anyway), But how many of you actually do and How is it especially with a B.Smithi. I know they are great first time T's and great at handling. Mine is also very docile (he`s not flicked any hairs at any insects in his home or at me or my husband. He's never raised to bite or even ran off fast away from me.) He is just very chill.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try holding an H. maculata or an OBT and see how "chill" they are.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
LOL well obviously some you don't want to, or want to but its not such a good idea but as I said I've heard the B.Smithi is quite fine most times with being held.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It depends on the individual. Not all B. smithis are going to be as docile as the next. Mine is not defensive by an means, but is is very skittish and I could see it leaping off my hand and splattering on the ground, therefore It doesn't seem worth it to me. Not to mention I spent over $100 on that spider. I'm perfectly fine with observing it without touching it.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
See my idea was to simply just hold him for a min while my hand is in his tank to see how he handled that and my hand being not even inches from his ground so if he did get off my hand quick it would be just stepping off to his flooring.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
See my idea was to simply just hold him for a min while my hand is in his tank to see how he handled that and my hand being not even inches from his ground so if he did get off my hand quick it would be just stepping off to his flooring.
That is a good idea. Just don't try putting it on your moth or in your face :p We seriously had a guy attempt that with a P. metallica on this forum not too long ago. I face palmed for weeks after seeing the pictures.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Oh man no friggin way, I saw a video of a teen girl letting her goliath crawl all over her face head and back. SOO dangerous. I'm so much more worried about something hurting him then him hurting me etc.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
I don't hold any of mine but I'm not one to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do. The reasons I don't handle mine are for the safety of the animal more than my concern of getting bitten. I also think that their brains are too small to really appreciate any affection I have for them. As for B. smithis being docile, like Bob said, it depends on the individual specimine. I would not hold mine, it's a hair flicker and pretty skittish. Again because of its skittishness I would be more afraid of it being injured than being haired.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Only T in. My collection I will willingly hold is my E. sp. red.

Handled a couple involuntarily, in fact just the other day my juvenile C. darlingi was latched onto my glasses (right lens) whilst I was wearing them..... I'm just glad she isn't a hothead or I could of been seriously injured, if I didn't have the glasses on she woulda been covering my eyeball....... Not fun.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I think you might find trying to hold my juvie female B.smithi not quite so fun.:3 But in all seriousness, any so-called docile tarantula has the potential to bite and not live up to that docile reputation. The tarantula has no idea that it's supposed to be "great for handling", all it knows is that something has a hold of it and some are calmer about this prospect than others. Even docile specimens can sometimes get in moods. I own several so-called docile species and believe me, I know them individually well enough to know that putting my hands anywhere near them would be asking for it. This includes: B.smithi, B.emilia, G.rosea, G.porteri and G.pulchra. My G.pulchripes isn't exactly defensive, but it is exceedingly skittish. The only so-called docile species I own that I would actually call docile is my Euathlus sp.red female. Of course this is just my personal experience, but it is still enough that I can't help but raise an eyebrow when people assume a tarantula will be docile based on it's species.

If you're going to hold though, just be careful about it. I'm sure you know to hold as close to the ground as possible, but also be mentally prepared for a bite. That way if the worst should happen and it does bite, you'll be able to stop yourself from flinging and possibly injuring or killing the tarantula.

Last edited:

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was pretty dead set on finding a way to handle my B. smithi and A.versi not 3 months ago, but seeing how they live day to day, the way they attack prey, and how they go about making their living, I don't think that holding them works into that at all, and just feels more selfish as time wears on.

Perhaps this will change if they become sedentary with age (except the P. metallica, this girl (?) is fast as greased lightning, no thanks!).

Also someone on these boards mentioned the potential for family impact/loss of gainful employment from a "medically significant" bite. I am a new father, new homeowner, and self employed. This rang very true and close to home, as I need these hands!

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, what is handling!

When i move and ventrally sex my T´s they are typically around juvie stage, and i do use my hands most of the time to get the T in position to a good sexing position.
If this is considered handling i am guilty!
On top of that i only keep asian and african T´s. Am deeply allergic to urticating hairs. And i have tried handling pretty much any T i have in the past, but not anymore.
I dont consider this handling, i call this working with the T´s. And i know alot of people who says "no handling" whenever they get the oppurtunity and still do the same as me with the small ones.

But it is good to see this thread not already has evolved into a flamewar as many do very quickly. But they lead nowhere....

Duffman1990

Arachnosquire
I handle my euathlos sp Red every now and then but i try not to to often she is very docile but i still dont want to risk her getting hurt by handling her.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I handle some of mine: G. pulchra, B. albopilosum, B. emilia, but only a couple of times a month. The others are either still too tiny (B. vagans, P. regalis), too quick (P. irminia), or just plain too cranky (L. parahybana). :)

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I Dont handle any of my Ts anymore, although have done many times in the past.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, what is handling!

When i move and ventrally sex my T´s they are typically around juvie stage, and i do use my hands most of the time to get the T in position to a good sexing position.
If this is considered handling i am guilty!
On top of that i only keep asian and african T´s. Am deeply allergic to urticating hairs. And i have tried handling pretty much any T i have in the past, but not anymore.
I dont consider this handling, i call this working with the T´s. And i know alot of people who says "no handling" whenever they get the oppurtunity and still do the same as me with the small ones.

But it is good to see this thread not already has evolved into a flamewar as many do very quickly. But they lead nowhere....
You're hands do not have to make contact with the tarantula while rehousing or doing any form of cage maintenance. How do you think you remove an OW from its enclosure when cleaning/rehousing? You definitely do not use your hands.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I don't have any desire to handle mine, too many things can go wrong. Getting bit and accidentally smashing them, dropping them, escape, ect. To me the risk just doesn't justify whatever gratification exists. Plus they aren't social creatures. So with that, I'm content to just observe and enjoy.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
I do handle some of mine during rehousing, but a good chunk of my collection are Psalmo's and OW arboreals so I try to avoid direct contact with most. If you want to handle it sit on the ground with the enclosure in front of you. Use a catch cup to get her out of the enclosure and then from the cup to your hand. It will reduce the risk of getting tagged in a feeding response by sticking your hand in the enclosure. If your having a hard time getting her in a catch cup she probably won't be any calmer when your handling her so just leave her be and try another day.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't have any desire to handle mine, too many things can go wrong. Getting bit and accidentally smashing them, dropping them, escape, ect. To me the risk just doesn't justify whatever gratification exists. Plus they aren't social creatures. So with that, I'm content to just observe and enjoy.

+1. Hopefully the whole hobby will get there one day.

persistent

Arachnopeon
^^ I completely agree with the above and so never handle mine accept when absolutely necessary (for example a sick or dieing T that doesn't have the ability to move by itself anymore)