p. metallica

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
do P. metallica males and females look different as far as colors go? are the males more brightly colored or does it depend on the specimen?

goodyt

Arachnosquire

This is a photo of a mature male Above a mature female Below.

The female is on the right and the male on the left here. Be aware that I did not have a lot of rosin on this bass bow and do not recommend contact with rosin.

-AJ

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
thank you!
do you have any advice for P. metallicas specifically?
i have a regalis and an irminia so i understand speed. but other then that anything else?

This is a photo of a mature male Above a mature female Below.

The female is on the right and the male on the left here. Be aware that I did not have a lot of rosin on this bass bow and do not recommend contact with rosin.

-AJ

awiec

Arachnoprince
thank you!
do you have any advice for P. metallicas specifically?
i have a regalis and an irminia so i understand speed. but other then that anything else?
They are expensive that's about it. As far as pokies go, P.metallica are one of the calmer ones, but most pokies act similar. Also P.irminia is not a pokie, its a pslamo, its still fast but pokies are more potent in the venom department. I'd say care for your P.ragalis for a while before you start caring for a P.metallica as you will cry if you kill an 80-100 dollar spider. I do know that females get a sort of a black and dark grey on their body when they get old, it looks pretty cool. Also some specimens are just naturally brighter than others, some get more blue blue and some look more like the ones in this thread. They can be kept the same as your P.regalis, but as I said get some more experience with the cheaper species before you try raising an expensive one.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
MM metallicas are more similar to the females than most Poecs are.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Here's my random observations and thoughts. Please feel free to ask any specific questions.

I raised two ornatas and a regalis first (all males) before buying metallicas.

Basically, it's the same deal. They can be super fast. They do dig sometimes in deeper substrates. I've seen ornatas dig too.

My work with metallicas is limited and still only going on two years. It does feel horrible to lose one. I've lost two: one just didn't make it as a sling and the other was possibly my fault but it was not conclusive exactly why it died.

Pairing them is really easy once you get them together. I have difficulty getting the males to eat a lot before introductions but definitely make sure your female has has a few big meals in before pairing them and keep food near when they are together. Mature females have eaten dubias while in cohabitation with the mature males so they can be paired for multiple days at a time. It's still a risk, just like any pairing, but I have seen colonies of this tarantula exist (for those who could afford to risk it.)

I never thought I would own a species of anything that has been listed as one of the top 100 critically endangered species in the world! It's an honor to have any and a real joy.

To see them easily, I have only one 360 hide and visit each member of my collection often in the week.

They do love water but it is not required for raising slings IMO.

I never let my substrate dry out (coco fiber/vermiculite) completely, but I keep pothos with them and do let the soil dry up a bit occasionally but always ensure the plants are hydrated. Pothos don't require too much water, but they do need some.

Note on Plants:
Look into potting soils to avoid with tarantulas before adding plants or substrate. Ask your nursery if any plants could have been sprayed before buying plants and always ask these groups if you don't know if the plant is ok.

Lastly, Get a hydrometer and thermometer if you don't have one already.

-AJ

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
They are expensive that's about it. As far as pokies go, P.metallica are one of the calmer ones, but most pokies act similar. Also P.irminia is not a pokie, its a pslamo, its still fast but pokies are more potent in the venom department. I'd say care for your P.ragalis for a while before you start caring for a P.metallica as you will cry if you kill an 80-100 dollar spider. I do know that females get a sort of a black and dark grey on their body when they get old, it looks pretty cool. Also some specimens are just naturally brighter than others, some get more blue blue and some look more like the ones in this thread. They can be kept the same as your P.regalis, but as I said get some more experience with the cheaper species before you try raising an expensive one.
im very aware its a psalmo. i was just saying because my irminia is like a lightning bolt. i was just saying that because i understand speed and having a healthy respect for them.