Breeding window after a molt?

Zcreator

Arachnopeon
I've been thinking about breeding a few of my females this year, but I have a couple that only 1.5 months after a molt are already getting big like they might be laying a dummy sack in the next month. Is it too late to pair if they are already getting big, or might they still be receptive?

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
None of that makes any sense at all! First off because a female is getting bigger doesn't mean they're gonna make a phantom sac, second those dont happen often, third I wouldn't suggest breeding a female till aleast two months in. I've had no luck with breeding females that early into their molt cycle. Females shouldn't molt that soon again, but there's a ton of variables. I think you should do some research and learn a little bit before you do any breeding.

Example: I had two versicolor females about nine months into their molts and laid a sac each in less than two weeks after breeding.

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Pairing them early in the molt cycle is perfectly acceptable. In fact, I see distinct advantages to that, the most obvious being the female will less likely "molt out".
In the few sacs that I've had successful, they were always bred within the first few months after a molt (some within the same month!). Typically, I wait until they've had a couple of good, big meals after a molt before I begin pairing.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been thinking about breeding a few of my females this year, but I have a couple that only 1.5 months after a molt are already getting big like they might be laying a dummy sack in the next month. Is it too late to pair if they are already getting big, or might they still be receptive?
You can pair them up early after molt, but make sure she have eaten good before. I have not experienced more dead males when breeding early than when bred late. I have bred p ornata 3 weeks after molt and 1 month later she laid a sac who gave me 142 slings.

Zcreator

Arachnopeon
To clarify about fuzzyavics72 response, I'm just hypothesizing by what happened last year with these same females. I got four unfertilized sacs last year between the rainy season and December and the main female in question is almost twice as big as she is the rest of the year. She can definitely just be fat, but as the humidity is rising and the rainy season is getting close, I'm just trying to get some opinions on breeding timelines.

Thanks for the input! Looks like if I am able to track down some males, it would be worth trying to breed some of these ladies.