Cacti Collecting!

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can read most of what I have on my profile page. Anyone else here into it?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I like cacti and any other weird plants, have a few, just sprouted some kiwis from seeds. I could get deep into that if I had a greenhouse, ..some day.

Just checked your list, I have #2 and #5 on your list, also a few seedlings from the fissure

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
BTW I'm planning to get seeds of the Peyote cactus soon. Before you say anything, it is purely for decorative purposes only and even if it wasn't, the mescaline levels found in captive bred Peyote plants is far too low to get any sort of high off of. Besides, they are slow growing.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The laws on Lophophora are one of dumbest imo, they need to get rid of that but should still have it illegal for people to dig them up, unless you have a permit like some americans do. I was looking around on the internet and found some for sale from a nursery a year or two ago, I think it was in Florida. They had them listed as L. williamsii, I didn't buy any though, I don't really know what they were, could've been something else.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just pressed the Place your Order button on the Button Cactus seeds. I ordered them on Amazon from a seller I have ordered from in past and their seeds always germinate so I have nothing to worry about there. Unicorns here I co- Oh sorry I was just thinking to myself there ;)

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I've been into plants, including cacti and succulents, for many years. I *do* have a greenhouse with half of it for my stuff and the other half my husband's vegetables. I have some nice old specimens. I particularly like caudiciforms. Have 4-5 dioscorea sp., one has a caudex over a foot wide. And my sedum morganianum (s) are to die for, if I do say so. Have been propagating from an original plant that's over 40 years old.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I collect Rhipsalis, Lepismium and many other epiphytic cacti, rather odd-looking plants that most people do not realize are cacti.
I used to be really into the xerophytic cacti, the more familiar desert species, but only have a few of those now.

pitbulllady

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's an interesting site about them imo
http://lophophora.blogspot.com/search/label/Texas
I just read the post regarding extreme cold exposure. That's really cool! Those little peyote plants are really cute! Makes me want some.

As a kid living in Arizona, I stole cactus cuttings from all over the neighborhood. My parents get to enjoy the fruits of my labors in my absence now. Whenever I visit my parents, I'm amazed how big the plants have gotten. The Indian figs I planted as single pads years ago are about 7' tall now.

I'm growing succulent cuttings (taken with permission this time haha) on my porch now. Gardening seems to take even more patience than keeping Ts! I'd kinda like to get into some of the more unusual varieties someday. Right I'm trying to save some pencil cactus pieces that fell off my neighbor's plant.

Anyone else seen cactuses with fake flowers glued on them for sale at hardware stores? Home Depot has also taken to selling rainbow spray-painted cactuses, which look butt-ugly in addition to being dumb.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I just read the post regarding extreme cold exposure. That's really cool! Those little peyote plants are really cute! Makes me want some.

As a kid living in Arizona, I stole cactus cuttings from all over the neighborhood. My parents get to enjoy the fruits of my labors in my absence now. Whenever I visit my parents, I'm amazed how big the plants have gotten. The Indian figs I planted as single pads years ago are about 7' tall now.

I'm growing succulent cuttings (taken with permission this time haha) on my porch now. Gardening seems to take even more patience than keeping Ts! I'd kinda like to get into some of the more unusual varieties someday. Right I'm trying to save some pencil cactus pieces that fell off my neighbor's plant.

Anyone else seen cactuses with fake flowers glued on them for sale at hardware stores? Home Depot has also taken to selling rainbow spray-painted cactuses, which look butt-ugly in addition to being dumb.
Sigh. Fake flowers glued or even pinned on with a needle thing. Painted to look shiny sometimes. And the medium they are growing in is often colored gravel that has been glued so they won't spill during shipping.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
HAHA, yeah, hot glued flowers on the cacti. I told the cashier they weren't fooling me!, joking around, the cashier thought they were real, a lot of people do. I thought they were real when I first saw them until I touched them and heard a paper sound ...heeeyyyy, what's going on here! Yeah I did the "cuttings" things too when I'd take a break at work and walk around the blocks outside, putting seeds in my pockets, whatever, I still have some of that stuff and that was at least 15+ years ago.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I stole cactus cuttings from all over the neighborhood.
That how I got my Opuntia plants! Since they are incredibly cold tolerant, they can be grown in the ground in NJ with little trouble. While I was on my bike, I found some plants and thought I'd steal a few pads :sneaky: The spines were painful riding home, but it was worth it, as I rooted the pads and now have two healthy plants. I am planning to try my first attempt at grafting cacti on one of them soon.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are my Dioscorea sylvatica vines of about 1 month:

uploadfromtaptalk1404939156032.jpg

What is not pictured are the small little caudexes forming at their bases :)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe we can start some plant trading or trading seeds. Cactus people tend to like the bulb stuff. Sometimes I drop inverts off at a pet store here and was given a Sinningia from the store two or three months ago, never heard of it before then, it didn't have any new growth on it. I was like, "oh ...uh, thanks, a potato, I 'am' kinda hungry." Took it home and potted it, I like it now. I'm not sure of the species though, I'm thinking it's S. magnifica.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Snerk. A potato. They do look rather... unprepossessing without leaves, don't they? But then a lot of tuberous plants are stealth. I tossed some really yucky rotten garbage into a compost pile and we have been growing ginger every year since. BTW, whatever you do, don't toss papayas into your compost pile. Unless you want to grow nothing but papayas for the next eon or two.

Last edited:

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I "stole" this yesterday off of a cactus at my local nursery:

It was a cactus offset that was already falling off, so I decided to take it. I rode there on my bike, and it was remarkably painful riding back for obvious reasons. Not even the plastic bag I bring with me for keeping cuttings in every time I go out on a bike ride helped. It was worth it though, cause if I root this I will have an infinite supply of grafting stock! Muhahahahahahahahaha! Sorry.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not a cactus, but still noteworthy:

Pitcher Plant!

They seem to be one of the easier carnivorous plants to keep alive, in stark contrast to Venus Flytraps, which I'm pretty sure I've gone through 20 of by now.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Have yet to see anyone's pics of their cacti collection! *hint* *hint* ;)

-JohnD.