B. Boehmei; Your ideal/favorite substrate(s)?

Huck5

Arachnopeon
Hi there.

I recently acquired a young BB.

At night/dark it seems to spend its time on the enclosure floor (from my observations), yet during the day it seems to prefer the wall of the enclosure.

This obviously leads me to believe the substrate is not ideal (or the humidity).

I was wondering what substrates you have implemented successfully with this (or similar) type(s) of tarantulas.

I am currently using coconut coir (the shredded stuff), and it's fairly dry.

Do you think I may need to increase humidity?

I've had the T at most a week; could it just be getting used to new environment?

I have a GBB with shredded coconut husks (the chunks) for substrate, and it seems perfectly fine with it..

I was recommended to use neither of these, ideally. But that was not till very recently.

Anyway, your feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Coconut coir is fine. Just keep it dry. Brachys hate moisture. I use eco earth for all of my T's and they love it.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
A lot of terrestrial T's will climb when they are first getting use to an enclosure. When rehousing terrestrials, I usually make up the substrate a few days earlier and wait for it to dry out before putting my T in there. But the best thing you can do for it right now is just not to mess with it. Give it another week or two and it will be fine.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had my 2.5" B. smithi in Eco earth for 2.5 months now, and one molt, I see 50% sub and 50% side placement, but almost always on the side facing heat source.

Sub gets no moisture, just bottle top with water.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
personally i swear by coco husk. but as my boehmei shows he/shes a burrower and getting bigger.. you can only pack coco down so much befor the integrity will go.. thankfully mines accidently distroyed his own hole a few times he'll be being moved to another container soon im going to try poecs favorite.. handy dandy top soil.. think it should hold best once its been dampened and let to dry a week or 2..

Last edited: