Tarantula and Invert Hunting in Arizona (Prescott area)

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
Hi!

Any of you have experience bugging in Arizona near Prescott? We are planning a trip out here and I definitely want to do some hiking and rock and log turning while we are out there. Especially interested in tarantulas, vinegaroons, and centipedes!

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Hi. This may or may not help but there is a girl on youtube who has some videos of buggin in New Mexico and west Texas. Check out Deadly Tarantula Girl aka Marita de la Pena on youtube. She has a bunch of other videos on breeding Ts and inteviews with others in the hobby.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You've come to the right place for Ts at least... I currently live in Prescott and know where lots of, what most closely resemble Aphonopelma sp "New River", live in the wild. Send me a PM if you please. What are the dates of your trip?
This girl is patiently waiting for you to visit :D
View attachment 128152

Last edited:

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
Careful of rattlers! More then once I've turned rocks looking for some sort of invert to find a rattler. Got bit once too. Wasn't fun

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Careful of rattlers! More then once I've turned rocks looking for some sort of invert to find a rattler. Got bit once too. Wasn't fun
That sounds nasty. I've been bitten by a black widow, never taken a bite from any other venomous animal. What kind of rattler was it?

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
That sounds nasty. I've been bitten by a black widow, never taken a bite from any other venomous animal. What kind of rattler was it?
If I remember correctly it was a diamondback. I was only 10 at the time though. Luckily my uncle was smart enough to take a picture of it to bring to the hospital. Didn't curb my venomous critter appeal though. I used to catch black widows out there. They're everywhere! My elementary school ha these brick pillars with a concave on one side maybe like 6 inches deep and I remember the widows would basically have their webs all stacked on top of eachother so you'd find like 15 black widows in one pillar.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I was about the same age when I was bitten by the widow. My cousin lived in Tennessee at the time and when we went to visit them he and I were catching them beneath their deck. It was going well until...

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I wish I had gotten some. I just had to sweat it out in the hospital while they attempted to treat my symptoms. They didn't have any at the hospital. It was a pretty crappy experience, but I bounced back pretty quickly.

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
That makes sense I guess. I'm sure it's harder to extract widow venom then rattler venom.