Genic vs Phormic

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Hey just for fun what large NW do you prefer between Acanthoscurria Geniculata and Phormictopus Cancerides and why? I am raising a little Genic sling and he is one of my favorites in my growing collection(my collection is not growing in number yet, but they are all young so are literally a growing collection:geek:). I am actually curious as to what the differences in owning an adult of each would be like….

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I haven't researched much about Acanthoscurria's, but I have done some research on Phormictopus because I've been considering adding them to my collection. They seem to have two major points going for them with me: they have color (especially the sp purple), and can have an attitude.

I suppose you could just give in to the addictiveness of the hobby and just get them both, lol. That's what I started doing.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I really could not choose as both are favorites in my collection. They both have really fun "bad" attitudes. My Phormictopus have proven much faster growing however; in fact my recently confirmed female P.cancerides is somehow outgrowing the other that I suspect is a male-go figure. My genic on the other hand didn't molt for 6 months at 1"...it's now maybe 1.5".

awiec

Arachnoprince
I find my phormic and pamph to be more similar to each other than genics but my P.sp Purple, is fast, hungry and likes to dig. The phormic was trying to grab my paintbrush the entire time I was rehousing while the pamph slapped and thumped a lot. Both have grown from 1 inch to 2.5-2.75 in 6 months and I think one is a female and one is a male; go figure. I will probably add a genic to my collection eventually but my pamph and phormic have me covered on big bulky terrestrials.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I have an A. geniculata juvenile and 8 navy blue P. Cancerides slings no adults but I can't wait to see the males with the purple carapace tint on the PCs and the beautiful large geniculata adults!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i personally also have not had both sp. but i have a. genic. i LOVE this girl.. so much so she has a place of honor on my shelf XD mines not so much of a moody girl. she was when i got her, who can blame her about 2 days in a box bouncing on the roads, now shes a little more skittish. shes an aggressive feeder tho this now 3" female loves full grown dubia males XD tho this is a treat for her i dont want to give an apple bottom ;) shes so small yet ALWAYS on display. cant wait for her to grow up.. shes such a sweetheart as is :D

Last edited:

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the responses…I was kind of wondering if their is any difference in temperament as they grow? And why in the heck is P. Cancerides not listed on most dealer inventories? Something seems wrong with that as they are a really cool species…LP's are everywhere and Cancerides is nowhere…what the crap?

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the responses…I was kind of wondering if their is any difference in temperament as they grow? And why in the heck is P. Cancerides not listed on most dealer inventories? Something seems wrong with that as they are a really cool species…LP's are everywhere and Cancerides is nowhere…what the crap?
Both start out somewhat shy with slight evidences of the attitude within every now and then. My Phormictopus sp.purples are still slings (compared to my cancerides which are now juvies) and will generally shy away into their burrow when I disturb the container. But one did kick hairs at me once...at barely an inch. That was a bit surprising as I've never really had slings kick.
I've never really seen the online dealers with them too much, although I know one has a young adult female for sale right now. I find them more prevalent for sale here, which is where I got all my Phormictopus sp.