Cold Packs?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I have no real idea of where to get a cold pack for shipping Ts. Does anyone know where to get them or if I need a specific kind?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
actually some people just make them themselvs.. simple as heck. iv done it for reptiles.. i use water crystals and use vacume style bags [that you burn shut i use it for peace of mind on leaks] but ziplocks work fine.. but you can always buy them but thats just a waist of money imho

edit: oh yea also recieved a few T's with these as well now that i think about it mine where refridgerated [overnighted and kinda warm when got them]. i freeze mine for realy hot weather

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've never used cold packs. If the temps are so high your worried enough to add cold I personally would just skip shipping and wait for a better shipping window to present itself.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Search:
Reptile cold packs
or
Shipping cold packs

Good Luck!
:D

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i kinda agree with talken. i mean you have the right to delay a shipment.. if say its 112 degrees. id say skip it.. tho if the buyer insists. then id just throw water crystals in a baggie of water and toss in the top of the fridge the night before. the crystal to water ratio doesn't quite matter it can be a little runny

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've never used cold packs. If the temps are so high your worried enough to add cold I personally would just skip shipping and wait for a better shipping window to present itself.
Considering a large part of the country hits 90+ degrees throughout the summer, that's not a viable option in many situations. How do you think dealers manage? Ken the Bug Guy's in Arizona; if he went by your advice, he'd only ship for several months during the winter.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
The dart frog guys use Phase 22 Panels. They are designed to keep shipments between 68 degrees and 75 degrees and can be used as both heat packs and cold packs. They're also reusable.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Considering a large part of the country hits 90+ degrees throughout the summer, that's not a viable option in many situations. How do you think dealers manage? Ken the Bug Guy's in Arizona; if he went by your advice, he'd only ship for several months during the winter.
I ship regularly to a friend in Phoenix AZ. Never have used a cold pack. I just got a package from him recently as well. There are windows to ship. It is my experience and opinion you don't need them if you pack them well. But if someone wants to use them go for it. I never said not to.
You seem to act as if I am speaking from a position of 0 experience.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I ship regularly to a friend in Phoenix AZ. Never have used a cold pack. I just got a package from him recently as well. There are windows to ship. It is my experience and opinion you don't need them if you pack them well. But if someone wants to use them go for it. I never said not to.
You seem to act as if I am speaking from a position of 0 experience.
Well, the hobby goes on all year, and except for a few days of unusual extreme temps, spiders are being shipped across country. People that ship to me use heat pacs and cold pacs depending on the time of year. I have a local reptile dealer/breeder that does most of my shipping and they use cold and heat pacs for most of the year (and they ship daily to pet stores across the country- they're shipping experts). Seems to be the industry standard. When I ship within Florida, I don't need heat or cold pacs, but going across the country would be a gamble, as planes usually have stops in parts of the country that are hot or cold.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I'm shipping to Oregon from Denver. I think I could get away with not using one, but this trade is HUGE for me if it works out so I don't want to gamble too much.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Personally i say your fine. But if its realy so huge you can add it and so noones abd bursts maybe throw extra paper in there.. iv recieved quail eggs in the mail before which ofcourse used heat. Some packed them with just wadded paper and they was fine iv also recieved pulped cardboard (like rodent bedding) and even a tonn of shredded paper as a failsafe. So theres an idea if the trades that important to you.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The key with heat and cold pacs is to use a secure piece of styro between them and the spiders as insulation. As long as there's no contact with the spiders, there's no risk. If things can shift around, then the spiders can overheat or freeze. You don't know how long the box may sit outddors or on the runway when they change planes. Plus there's the ride on the delivery truck to you, in the back of a truck exposed to the elements.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
A lot of dollar stores and thrift stores sell them for $1 or close to it, at least in the U.S. that's where I've found them. And IMO, they are absolutely worth a dollar for the protection they provide in the heat of summer.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I went to the Dollar Tree and got one of their lunch box ones and I'm going to thaw it slightly and keep it as far away from the T as possible, so like eight inches, but I'm going to Poec54 said and put a little extra Styrofoam between the two and a bunch of paper. The main reason I worried about this though is 1) the trade includes a versi and a MM rose hair I'm going to try to breed and 2) I'm not next daying it so it has a two day wait.