should i change enclosure?

danoughton

Arachnopeon
Just a quick question.

My B.albopilosum has decided to dig under her cave and in doin so the cave is un supported 1/2 way around the base.
All the supstrate she moved made a impressive wall nearly 2inches thick in front of the cave.

So should i leave her be or modify enclosure so the cave is better supported.

20140708_184740-1.jpg
This is where she has spent the last week and a half.

Cheers

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
how deep is the substrate in the rest of the enclosure? and how heavy is that cave thing?

my albo did exactly the same thing. i made her a real nice hide/burrow with a half-round of cork bark, she dug underneath it all the way to the bottom, then all the way around the back of the cage. cork bark is light so i left it, it doesn't pose much risk for the burrowers, but if that hide is heavy and could collapse on top of her, then i would switch it out.

cold blood

Staff member
You could always slide a rock or wood chunk under a corner to offer support. I've done that.

danoughton

Arachnopeon
The cave isnt to heavy. l'll leave her to it for the time being and but if she starts taking any more supporting substrate away im goning to have to do something.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
maybe a new enclosure. albos can like digging and that subs shallow. maybe a 5gal? maybe she didnt feel secure enough in the enclosure she looks a nice size so i dont see why not.. btw i hope that light was just for a pic im sure that bright light would stress her out.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
She will eventually dig out the entire bottom if given the chance.
If you want to still use it, your best bet would be to place it so it is flush against the bottom of the enclosure, and fill the bottom and inside with dirt.

Personally I would ditch the exo terra cave thing. I've found that they make for crappy tarantula hides. IME they never really feel comfortable in them without making their own modifications underneath; if I had to guess why I would say they feel too exposed. They generally feel more comfortable in tube type structures where they can go in a ways and be far from the entrance.

Last edited:

danoughton

Arachnopeon
Cheers guys for the advice. She took a couple of crickets today so i know she isnt in premolt over the next few days i will try and move a few things around.

The light is from the camera flash. The tank currently sits in the corner of the room away from any bright light.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of my roseas did this recently, it's normal behaviour =) Keep an eye on it, you can put something to support the cave if you feel it's necessary, otherwise just let the T do its thing