Ants of Asia experts advice, please

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It appears we might have a minor version similar to the Bullet Ant around here and I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light.

My other, wifey partner, got her foot chomped by an ant yesterday. The pain was instantaneous and so severe she almost screamed and it made her eyes water. Keep in mind we are talking about a pretty stoic hill tribe gal who has nanced with some pretty narsty critters over the years. She stated the pain was much worse than any bite or sting she has ever had and that includes those caterpillars that can put you toes up in a cold room.

The ants in question. They aren't all that common around here but I see them now and then. Say, less than 1% of the sitings of ants I see every day. They are about the same size as the big red ant common in the US, around 1cm long, but the body is noticeably heftier. The color appears to be black at a casual glance but close examination shows they are very very dark red. They make nests in the ground so rule out wood munchers and arboreals. Their mandibles are formidable, maybe half again the size of the US red or Aus green ant. All the ants of this species appear to be this same size so this wouldn't be a soldier/guardian version of a smaller variety.

The bite was on a toe. Pain onset was instant. Neurological reaction so severe her leg muscles contracted so she could barely walk for a few seconds. A red welt an inch across appeared in about 5 seconds and swelled to half an inch high. This reduced to not visible in about 20 minutes. The pain gradually diminished after about 4 hours to no longer felt.

Could anybody clue me, ID them?

Last edited:

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Asian ants are incredibly diverse and extremely numerous, with ants of their own genus being remarkably alike. Without a picture, ID is almost impossible.

Going off the description, it's more than likely a species in the subfamily Ponerinae. A couple likely possibilities include Pachycondyla and Leptogenys. Ants of said genus, and many others in the subfamily, and known for their characteristically painful stings.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Asian ants are incredibly diverse and extremely numerous, with ants of their own genus being remarkably alike. Without a picture, ID is almost impossible.

Going off the description, it's more than likely a species in the subfamily Ponerinae. A couple likely possibilities include Pachycondyla and Leptogenys. Ants of said genus, and many others in the subfamily, and known for their characteristically painful stings.
Thanks! I didn't include a photo as I don't have a camera that could give a picture that would identify the animal as anything more than an ant.
I'm going to rule out ponerinae initially in that I feel reasonably certain I would have noticed the constriction of the abdomen or any other unusual appearance and that, according to the map, they haven't been found in N Thailand... yet.
The ant was very strongly built but evenly proportioned. Not the oversized and rounded head and abdomen of a soldier type but elongated. Visualize the Myrmecocystus with all three segments very robust with little indentations of the thorax. Pretty much the shape of the common black sweet and grease eating ant. They also appear to be nomadic as I had never seen them in our environs before and today they are gone.

Meh! So many different kinds of ants. Add to that I'm fully convinced we have more varieties here on our 'hell's half acre' than all of north America has. So many in fact, the best and most effective control of them is to let them do their thing, consuming everything edible in sight in short order leaving others with nothing to scrounge. Of course keeping all foods either in the fridge or hermetically sealed jars. As example, having boxes of cereal about, even unopened, as people do in the US, would be laughable here. They would cut the box and packaging open in minutes and ... the carnage defies description. From the micromonsters that can punch tiny holes in plastic bags to the no nonsense power houses that cut entire thick plastic trash bags into shreds.

To give an idea how numerous and vigilant the ants are here, our dog took to sleeping in the rice fields as any dry area is overran by ants. We finally trained it to sleep in the jeep with where the tires park treated with Chaindrite insecticide.

Last edited:

ecooper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! I didn't include a photo as I don't have a camera that could give a picture that would identify the animal as anything more than an ant.
I'm going to rule out ponerinae initially in that I feel reasonably certain I would have noticed the constriction of the abdomen or any other unusual appearance and that, according to the map, they haven't been found in N Thailand... yet.
The ant was very strongly built but evenly proportioned. Not the oversized and rounded head and abdomen of a soldier type but elongated. Visualize the Myrmecocystus with all three segments very robust with little indentations of the thorax. Pretty much the shape of the common black sweet and grease eating ant. They also appear to be nomadic as I had never seen them in our environs before and today they are gone.

Meh! So many different kinds of ants. Add to that I'm fully convinced we have more varieties here on our 'hell's half acre' than all of north America has. So many in fact, the best and most effective control of them is to let them do their thing, consuming everything edible in sight in short order leaving others with nothing to scrounge. Of course keeping all foods either in the fridge or hermetically sealed jars. As example, having boxes of cereal about, even unopened, as people do in the US, would be laughable here. They would cut the box and packaging open in minutes and ... the carnage defies description. From the micromonsters that can punch tiny holes in plastic bags to the no nonsense power houses that cut entire thick plastic trash bags into shreds.

To give an idea how numerous and vigilant the ants are here, our dog took to sleeping in the rice fields as any dry area is overran by ants. We finally trained it to sleep in the jeep with where the tires park treated with Chaindrite insecticide.
I have absolutely no input regarding the identification of Asian ants. I just wanted to say that this was a really interesting (and darkly humorous) post!

EC

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree this is almost certainly a Ponerine of some sort but with out a picture that is about as good as it is going to get.