Black Forest scorp

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
I just got a Black Forest scorp today and I'm so excited! He ate the second I got him into his enclosure and it is just the coolest thing ever! Now I have a few questions.
As far as heat pads go I've read online that they're "needed" but a lot of things say that about T's as we'll and obviously it's not true. So I was wondering if it was the same.
As well do I need to keep substrate moist or will a full water dish suffice for humidity?
And one more.. Do they like bigger enclosures or do they prefer less space so as not to feel uncomfortable?

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
I just got a Black Forest scorp today and I'm so excited! He ate the second I got him into his enclosure and it is just the coolest thing ever! Now I have a few questions.
As far as heat pads go I've read online that they're "needed" but a lot of things say that about T's as we'll and obviously it's not true. So I was wondering if it was the same.
As well do I need to keep substrate moist or will a full water dish suffice for humidity?
And one more.. Do they like bigger enclosures or do they prefer less space so as not to feel uncomfortable?
No heatpads not needed you can also heat with bulbs which is the even better way to heat. Same with T. Even if you think it's obviously that they don't need any heat the only obvious think about T's is they prefer heated areas. As far as keeping an animal alive isn't the goal of keeping animals you should keep that in mind. You yourself don't need much more than some pieces of bread and water each day to survive for long time, but would you be happy with that? No? Than You probably should think about giving your animals a good home and not just the "prison care" to keep them just alive.

What I'm asking myself is what's wrong with you? It's not the first time I read such threads, but don't you think a responsible person would get at least the most important informations before buying an animal. Please ask your parents next time you see them at which point of your mother's gestation they startet to get informed about baby's! I really doubt that they first time asked the doctor directly after birth: "hey doc what's now? I don't know what to do with this thing, can you give me some advice? How often have feed it that it will grow fast?"
You might think if completely different story to compare a human to an animal. But is it? Absolutely not you took responsibility for life when you bought that animal and you should care the best you can ( which contradicts the feeling that I have that you try to do just and only the minimum amount of care it's needed that your money isn't wasted and the animal stays alive)

Of course the substrate should kept moist most of the time, at least the deeper layer. The surface is allowed to dry out from time to time as long as the substrate in general contains moisture. You will need a substrate where the scorpion can dig deep and long tunnels without the substrate collapsing above his head. The substrate should be at least 5 inch deep, as MINIMUM. You're allowed to do more than minimum.

actually the last question is to freaking awesome stupid I can't believe someone asked it! Do you really think an animal is more comfortable in "cage of glass" because it's not so big than being free in nature?
Of course the need an enclosure that is big enough to life their natural way as good as possible. Therefore they dig large Tunnelsystems that don't fit into a 5x5 inch enclosure!
So you might need to change your mindset about owning and caring for pets. They not only exist for our enjoyment! You should keep every animal as if it was your baby. Even if you just bought it because you wanted a "bug" that hunts and eats other bugs!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It seems KDiix is still drunk from the German victory last night

LET ME TRANSCRIBE!

1. Asian forest scorpions require temperatures above 23-25 degrees centigrade (73+ F)
- Ideally 27-30 and they will thrive

2. depending on the size of the scorpion (and its tank/box) its best to keep a GRADIENT of moisture and heat, I have the side of my boxes with the heat matt dry out (from the heat!) whereas the cooler end always stays pretty wet, including the mist/condensation of water from the warm side
In general however, you want to keep the substrate moist, never let it dry out.

3. Adult scorpions you can give as much space as you want (more = better) as long as you provide enough food (it will take longer for them to hunt the bigger the box, IN GENERAL)
Baby scorpions are better in much smaller boxes so that you can keep an eye on them (moulting, feeding, well-being)

Hope that helps! Any more questions please post them! (also post a pic of your scorpion :p pics are nice!)

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
No I'm absolutely not drunk I'm just angry how often you can read hear posts like
" I recently bought a scorpion now please tell me what I have to do to keep him alive?" Instead of " I'm looking forward to buy a scorpion please can you help me to get prepared as good as possible to give him a good home."
What do you think would happen to someone posting in a baby board "I got my first baby. I'm so excited. Is it true they cry all day? Or is their any possibility to get them quiet?"
That's just not the way to go for something and people have to learn that and I really doubt somebody learns anything if we always just say "well done. You need that and that, but may be next time you might think of getting informations before you buy a new pet."

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
No I'm absolutely not drunk I'm just angry how often you can read hear posts like
" I recently bought a scorpion now please tell me what I have to do to keep him alive?" Instead of " I'm looking forward to buy a scorpion please can you help me to get prepared as good as possible to give him a good home."
What do you think would happen to someone posting in a baby board "I got my first baby. I'm so excited. Is it true they cry all day? Or is their any possibility to get them quiet?"
That's just not the way to go for something and people have to learn that and I really doubt somebody learns anything if we always just say "well done. You need that and that, but may be next time you might think of getting informations before you buy a new pet."
Or you could word it in a way where you don't sound like a pompous asshole.. Just saying. Being polite can get you quite far in life

---------- Post added 07-11-2014 at 12:03 AM ----------

Excuse me, but no freaking duh we got information on how to care for a scorp before we bought one, problem is, as most people know, care manuals only tell you the general basics of caring for a pet, not the specific needs of each indivitual kind. So before you go assuming we're bad pet owners why don't you learn some manners and quit assuming things. ~his girlfriend

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to get frustrated too with the repetitiveness kdiix but then I understood that it will always be this way. It's like teaching the same class year after year. So if you teach 1st grade a few years always with new students coming in, it's probably a bad idea to think, "I hate this, I just said the exact same thing last year, and the year before that, and the year before that! I can't take it anymore!". Whether it's the case here or not, these kinds of questions and behaviors will never stop, it's just part of learning. Unless pet stores hand out accurate info, it won't change and part of the reason for just about any forum to exist.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Or you could word it in a way where you don't sound like a pompous asshole.. Just saying. Being polite can get you quite far in life

---------- Post added 07-11-2014 at 12:03 AM ----------

Excuse me, but no freaking duh we got information on how to care for a scorp before we bought one, problem is, as most people know, care manuals only tell you the general basics of caring for a pet, not the specific needs of each indivitual kind. So before you go assuming we're bad pet owners why don't you learn some manners and quit assuming things. ~his girlfriend
I actually don't think I wasn't polite. I just was honest with you. I wasn't insulting or call someone pompous asshole. The people 2014 years ago already knewed that you should threat people the way you wanna be treated. So stop complaining someone wasn't polite enough when he was showing your mistakes if can't be straight enough being yourself polite.

To "his girlfriend": are you serious? Although it's obvious that I'm right saying you did something wrong you still think and pretend that you did everything fine? I can say whatever you want but it changes nothing at the fact you could and should have asked the questions BEFORE buying an animal! I don't doubt that often caresheets don't clear up all questions you got, but that's no reason to get an animal if you don't even know how to care for it properly!
Please do me a favour an register on a baby board and ask: " I recently got a baby, I'm so excited. But I have some questions. How often I have to clean it or is it good enough if it gets clean when we are outside and it's raining? Do I have to change diaper frequently or do they feel more comfortable if I just change it once a week?"
If you just get positive feedback on such a thread I will apologise for every word I said. But I actually doubt that you even try this little experiment, because you probably already know the outcome.

@galapopheros no has not to be always the same! You would wonder how "often" I read comparable post written in german... its in worsed case once or twice a half year. How often do you read such posts here? About 4 time a month i guess. Last time I read about a german person which wanted to care scorpions he posted a picture of his enclosure and asked if the set up would be ok and what he have to be prepared for when he is buying the scorpion. He did almost everything correct except that he set up the enclosure before asking, which caused that he had to reset the set up. But that was just a matter of wasted money, because he wasn't even near to the point when you buy the scorpion and had all the time to get a proper set up before actually buying the scorpion.
In this case they bought a scorpion put it into a most likely unheated, way to small enclosure asking afterwards if it's ok to keep him that way. And wondering people get upset because they treated an alive animal as it was just a toy r us toy which you can re buy if it's "broke"

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Please balance your frustrations with Arachnoboards/scorpions need for more frequent posters and a larger community

This forum is dead compared to when i started posting here 2003/4/5, pushing new posters away isn't helping!!!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A reason you may read more comparable posts here than other places may be because of the amount of traffic the site gets compared to others. How much traffic does the other site you go to get compared to this one?, more?, less?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If the temperature of the room is below the typical recommended temps for their enclosures then you'll want to use an external heat source. The room my inverts are in is in the mid 70s through the winter and hovers around 80 in summer so I don't use external heating. Enclosure size is really up to you as long as it's not too small, they do like to wander now and then. The only issue with a larger enclosure though is the prey items might duck into a plant or something and be able to hide from the scorpion. You can guide the prey towards the scorp's burrow in such situations.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I actually don't think I wasn't polite.
actually the last question is to freaking awesome stupid I can't believe someone asked it!
Yeah if that's you being polite I wouldn't want to see you being rude. You need to think and re-read what you write before you post.

BTW there is no such thing as a stupid question.

If you're going to use lights for heat I've always read that for scorpions the red ones are best since they can't see that color spectrum. hth

Last edited:

remainpositive

Arachnosquire
Please balance your frustrations with Arachnoboards/scorpions need for more frequent posters and a larger community

This forum is dead compared to when i started posting here 2003/4/5, pushing new posters away isn't helping!!!
I was looking through some old threads and I was literally just thinking that! In 2003-2007 people would reply in seconds and there would be multiple threads being posted in every category (including the archive). Sometimes it's tough to even get any help at all on here, it's sad.:cry: