What is this? It wasnt there last night...

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like mold, there must be a dead cricket there or something.

spideymonkey

Arachnopeon
Alright, time for a clean-up then! Should I replace all of the soil? Or just that one part, also what can I do to prevent this in the future?

Last edited:

skippydude

Arachnobaron
A few air holes, a little above the substrate, will increase your fresh air and help keep the mold away
It is something to seriously consider with avicularias. Because stuffy, stale air kills them just as fast if not faster than not having enough humidity

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A few air holes, a little above the substrate, will increase your fresh air and help keep the mold away
It is something to seriously consider with avicularias. Because stuffy, stale air kills them just as fast if not faster than not having enough humidity
Agreed, except that cage needs A LOT of air holes (on the sides). Avics need cross ventilation. Without that, that Avic is probably not going to make it to adulthood. For humidity, Avic cages should have a waterbowl (not misting, not moist substrate). Mold is a sign the cage is too moist/stuffy and a future death trap for an Avic.

spideymonkey

Arachnopeon
Agreed, except that cage needs A LOT of air holes (on the sides). Avics need cross ventilation. Without that, that Avic is probably not going to make it to adulthood. For humidity, Avic cages should have a waterbowl (not misting, not moist substrate). Mold is a sign the cage is too moist/stuffy and a future death trap for an Avic.
Phew... Thank goodness that I actually checked in on this! I added x10 more holes(On the sides) and going to put a water bottle cap.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Good deal. The need for cross ventilation for Avics cannot be overstressed. Remember that they are very much truly arboreal in the wild and live in rain forests where they get a ton of breeze in their trees.