So lay people don't know what tarantulas even look like, apparently.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
So I popped onto Buzzfeed, my preferred provider of silly lists that sometimes make me laugh knowingly to myself and saw this headline:

"This Photo Of A Tarantula Is Actually A Naked Woman Covered In Paint"

...Alright, well that sounds interesting. [click link]...Nope. Nope. NOPE.

Apparently to lay people this looks like a tarantula:
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-07/9/11/enhanced/webdr04/enhanced-4044-1404918030-19.png

Nevermind the two sets of legs and zero pedipalps (or fangs, not entirely sure which part her head is meant to be). At best this work looks vaguely inspired by a jumping spider. It set me in such a tizzy that I had to share, because I don't Face(palm)book and therefore can't respond with the rage that I would so like to. Link to the "story" here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/you-might-think-this-is-a-photo-of-a-tarantula-but-its-actua To be clear, I understand that lay persons know little about tarantulas, but that they would think that looks like one blows me away.

As a side note, the other art is kind of neat.

Last edited by a moderator:

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
So, tarantulas don't look like that? My god, this whole time my collection has actually been naked ladies...

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I get the feeling the "naked" part (she isn't technically naked, celebs have worn body paint in public) is detracting from my point. Which is, in what universe does that look like a tarantula?

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those "eyes" though........ Mesmerizing

On a less pervy note, looks like a Badmoltypelvis snuffalupagi mature female.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Looks like a MM jumping spider which had an altercation with a female or two during mating and lost some legs and its palps (unless that's what her head is supposed to be?).

Guess its labelled a tarantula because it appears to look "hairy".... Alot closer resemblance to a jumper though due to the eyes.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why get upset about it though? There are much more pressing things in life to give a crap about. For example, I don't know the difference between many models of classic cars because they don't interest me at all. Does that mean geeks on a classic car forum should get angry if I inaccurately draw a picture of an old car? Its just not that big of a deal.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Those "eyes" though........ Mesmerizing

On a less pervy note, looks like a Badmoltypelvis snuffalupagi mature female.
Looks like her eyes are down there!

On topic, basically a huge brown spider is labeled by the lay as a tarantula no matter what it is. They're just ignorant.