B Albopilosum questios

Joseph M

Arachnopeon
So I just got my first T, and I have now had it for about a month. It is a B. Albopilosum with a leg span of about about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. So far it has largely been a pet hole but I' not too worried about its health because the crickets I put into its area keep disappearing so I know it's eating but I am still hoping that it will be the type of tarantula that is out and around its habitat rather than hiding in its hole.
B. Alopilosum is usually a fairly active tarantula right? Do you think it is still adjusting to its new environment or does it need to get a bit bigger before it becomes less timid?

Sorry if my questions seem a bit stupid or silly, I'm just a beginner trying to learn the hobby.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Most Ts will prefer hiding away at smaller sizes as their likely to survive in the wild better that way.

Its been in the setup for a month so its likely settled I'm sure you will see the characteristic bulldozer mentality kick in once its decided how it wants to decorate.

Each tarantula has its own personality though so you could have a shy one, but I'd expect it to make more appearances as it gets larger/ when it hits premolt as it will likely do alot of excavating around that time.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
B. albos are bulldozers especially at that size. Mine constantly burrows, comes out, burrows, comes back out, etc. If it isn't eating, it's digging. They do that.

Joseph M

Arachnopeon
@LordWaffle yeah mine was doing that for a little while but would always dart back into its den whenever i got near. It has sealed itself back up again though and there aren't really any signs of activity any more. So far the majority of the time I've had it it has been sealed up in its burrow.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
If it's sealed in its burrow, it did it for a reason. It could be in premolt (it's very very common for tarantulas to seal themselves in because molting is a very vulnerable time for them) or it could just not want to be bothered. The best thing to do is leave it alone. When it gets hungry, it will come back out.

Joseph M

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I've thought that maybe it might be going into premolt but there's two things that make me hesitate in that thought. 1. It has already molted once this month 2. Whenever i put crickets in its area they are always gone by the next day and I thought they stopped eating when they go into premolt.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
They don't always stop eating, I've had A geniculatas and B albos, B smithis, and T. stirmi eat right up to the day before (and in one case the day of) a molt. It's not entirely uncommon. That said, if it molted in July, you're most likely right that it's not in premolt. It's not unheard of for there to be rapid fire molts, but it's not exactly an everyday occurrence. Regardless of what the reason is for your little buddy hiding away, it's doing what it wants and is best for it. It definitely knows better what it needs than you or I. If it's eating the crickets you're putting in there, that's a good sign that everything is fine. Once it grows a bit, it will likely be less shy and you'll see it out much more often.