Brazilian Blue - Pterinopelma Sazimai

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Anyone got care sheet - info of this T? Couldn't find anything specific to its care - how big does it get? It is docile / aggressive? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
They are a burrowing species.They live where they get so much rainfall they have to plug up their burrow so it doesn't flood.I believe they get around 5". Don't know the adult temperment,but my little one seems skittish.Here is a passage I found about them,there's not much info on these,so I hope it helps:
Male and juvenile individuals of Pterinopelma sazimai are cryptically coloured in browns and greys, but the female sports a coat of iridescent blue hair that is truly spectacular.
Specimens were collected from a montane subtropical savanna eco-region of eastern Brazil known as the "campo rupestre". Perched atop rocky outcrops above 900 metres, the plants endemic to these tabletop mountains have been studied by botanists, who conclude that the higher rainfall and very different surrounding soil types make them ecological islands.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I was told they can borrow, live terrestrially, and on occasion behave semi-arboreally webbing up low foliage. I have a tiny sling that is pretty skittish but feeds will on hydei fruit flies. Mine looks to be in pre-molt and this will be the first molt for mine.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Thanks All, I got 2 slings today - I reckon since they are from higher altitudes - they are to be kept cooler ? Probably same conditions as highland P Subfusca? Got 2 slings of that today as well.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks All, I got 2 slings today - I reckon since they are from higher altitudes - they are to be kept cooler ? Probably same conditions as highland P Subfusca? Got 2 slings of that today as well.
Yes, anything from higher elevations should be kept cooler (not cold). 70-80 daytime highs are ideal, a little cooler at night. When you keep high elevation species too warm they gradually go downhill, don't feed well, and often die during the stress of premolt/molt/postmolt.

BTW, great choice with both of those species.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
From the information I've gathered, as slings, they will burrow some of the time, and exhibit terrestrial behaviors some of the time. Paul Becker says he keeps his at a very high humidity, to the point of condensation on the cup.

I want to pick up a few of these species, but I'm going to wait until I hear more feedback from the community on how they are kept.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
I live in HK - between May and Oct temperatures can reach to the high 80s-90. I intend to house these slings (p. fusca & pt. sazimai) in a large plastic tub filled with cooled water (using water cooler use for cooling marine reef aquariums) - this will keep them cool and keep humidity levels high.
For the substrate, as they are still tiny (leg span 1cm - 1.5cm) I mix 1 part clay to 1 part peat moss, as the Sazis get bigger - I will try a 2 parts clay, 1 part sand&peat moss mix.
Any comments on this setup will be greatly appreciated.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
These are from an area in northern Brazil, more specifically near the Chapada Diamantina National Park, Bahia. It's an area classified as "subtropical savannah". Ambient humidity is around 70-80% there with temps ranging from 24-28°C. Keep a part of the enclosures substrate moist, but not swampy. Max legspan is ~6" for a full grown one.

The genus name means roughly "having a feathered foot" and they were discovered by Dr. Ivan Sazima in 2011 atop the mesas in above mentioned region.

Hope that helps.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Thanks Storm - this is very helpful.

I did something really dumb yesterday - 1 of the ventilation holes must have been a tad too big and 1 of the Sazi slings escape - looked high and low and dark places for it - really stupid of me- even badder news is I'm sure it'll end up a tasty morsel for my house gecko

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
My 1/4" sling molted last night, this is the first molt for me. The vile I keep her in has coco substrate, a small piece of cork bark, and a tiny fake leaf. She moved all of that substrate on top of the cork bark. Seems like she gained a decent amount of size this molt.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My 1/4" sling molted last night, this is the first molt for me. The vile I keep her in has coco substrate, a small piece of cork bark, and a tiny fake leaf. She moved all of that substrate on top of the cork bark. Seems like she gained a decent amount of size this molt.

This looks like my T.gigas' and Poec vials; I read burrower and was expecting something more like the typical terrestrial sling situation of little jar of dirt with a burrow.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
***New Info***
I decided to test scavange feeding on my 1/2" Sazimai.Last Monday he ate a 1/4" cricket with the head ripped off.Tried again today,and he's eating it as I write.No more fruit flies for me!

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
***New Info***
I decided to test scavange feeding on my 1/2" Sazimai.Last Monday he ate a 1/4" cricket with the head ripped off.Tried again today,and he's eating it as I write.No more fruit flies for me!
I did the same with mine yesterday! My smallest cricket was nearly the size of my T but she ate the whole thing.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
***New Info***
Hey Shawn, can you share how you are keeping your Sazis ( temp, humidity, substrate). Good to know they scavenge feed. Have to check on mine - my smallest cricket was same size as Sazi sling - so I cut off the cricket hoppers. It was moving around but cutting off its hoppers slowed it down so I hoping the Sazi won't be spooked and hunt it.

XangerX

Arachnopeon
Mine is about 2 inches now. Getting her colors. Never seen her burrow. Keep her a little wetter than most but same temp as all my other T's and she eats like a champ and is growing well. Such a gorgeous species.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
My first batch of 2 slings - 1 escape - other sling remaining is now in its 5th instar is just under 1.5". Gotten another batch of 4 2nd 1cm instars for 1 month now that I'm little more confident about their care - my conditions/observations are:-
Substrate : peat/sand/clay in equal parts - 3 have build/dug burrows under the cork bark. Other 2 are perched on the cork bark.
Feeding headless/legless 0.5cm/1cm crickets every 5-7 days
Misting on sides and tub cover twice weekly / or as and when tub dries up completely. Humidity 65-80%.
Have seen the bigger one snatched cricket offered from tweezers.
Premolt time (from time food is refused to molting) - about 7-10 days. Post molt feeding after 1 week. Time between molts ( TBC)
Temp - day 75F to 80F, night 70F to 75F
Am keeping them pretty much same as my G Iheringhi except for GI I keep them slightly wetter.
Can't wait to see the color of a female if I'm lucky to get 1 female out of the 5 slings.

Last edited:

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Mine is kept on a coir/spag. moss mix,kept damp pretty much at all times.It has a 2 tube burrow.
Humidity is about 80%
Temp:I keep it lower in the spider room to keep it cooler than my other T's,about 75F
I feed it a prekilled cricket,about a 1/4"+ with the head crushed,every 5 days.
It fed just a few days before its last molt.Fasting during premolt doesn't seem to be an issue with these guys,I've never had to remove a dead cricket.
@ XrangerX: How long did it take yours to get 2"? Did you start with a tiny sling,as well?