Question about Feeding a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Minion

Arachnopeon
So I have a new Greenbottle Blue juvi. I got it on Wednesday and it has not yet eaten. I am a bit nervous as I want to make sure it is comfortable and in good shape. I have had terrestrial spiders before but this is my first species that like to live up in the air. It has made a web in the upper part of the tank and it has not really left that area though it will adjust its position a few times a day I notice. I have put a few small crickets into the tank, both directly into its web and on the floor yet it has not taken any of the food.

Is there any techniques that may help me get the T to eat, or should I not be so concerned? Yesterday the cricket that was in the tank climbed the little fake plant in the tank and was within an inch of the T but it did not even attempt to go for the food. I understand the tarantula will eat if it is hungry, I am just concerned that it has not yet taken any food in the time since it arrived.

I have read a good deal online that says these species will come down and hunt if they are hungry, or to try and put food directly in their web but up to this point there is nothing I have been able to do to get it to take food. I guess it is a possibility that it is in pre-molt but I just want to try and pick everyone's brain about how worried I should be and if there is anything that maybe I should try.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
GBBs are not arboreal. The require a bone dry substrate. If your sub is wet it may be why it's webbing off the ground. They are heavy webbers, given a cork bark hide and fake plants they will web up the lower portion of the enclosure. They are also eating machines, the only time mine refuses food is pre-molt and 7-10 days post molt. Yours may be pre-molt, if not it just hasn't settled into its new enclosure or the substrate is too wet. A water dish should be available but keep the rest dry.

Minion

Arachnopeon
The substrate is a mix of coconut hair and peat... Pretty dry actually... I didn't think it was arboreal but it has definitely webbed up the wall in between the fake fern and the tank wall and is just kinda hanging out there. I can see it perfectly. The webbing is unlike anything my rose or fire leg has ever really done, that is why I was reading on the feeding habits of arboreal spiders. Figured there was a way to try and feed them in their web. I guess for now I will keep an eye on it and hopefully it is getting ready to molt. It does have a shallow water dish and humidity is low with good ventilation in the tank. I'm wondering if I should do like straight coconut hair to make it even drier in the tank but I would think it is very dry on the floor of the tank.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Sounds like pre-molt to me. GBBs have a fantastic and fast feeding response, if something's in the enclosure and they know it, it won't last long. Pre and post molt seem to be the only time they break from food. Your substrate sounds suitable. I would let her settle in for a week. If she doesn't molt, offer food again. Enjoy, they are excellent T's!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
humidity is low with good ventilation in the tank. I'm wondering if I should do like straight coconut hair to make it even drier in the tank but I would think it is very dry on the floor of the tank.
They don't require low humidity; they live in a windy, humid area with low rainfall. In captivity they need dry substrate and good ventilation.

Minion

Arachnopeon
Thanks HungryGhost!!! Just to be safe I just changed the sub to straight coconut hair....I know this is perfectly dry straight from the bag. The T is still sitting in the little tupperware container I use to house during tank cleaning, I opened the top and placed it inside the tank to let it come out on its own so it has not checked out the new digs yet. Hopefully we are in pre-molt and and I have nothing to worry about but I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

---------- Post added 07-13-2014 at 08:28 AM ----------

Humidity is around 40% in the tank which is where the care sheet I was reading said it should be.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks HungryGhost!!! Just to be safe I just changed the sub to straight coconut hair....I know this is perfectly dry straight from the bag. The T is still sitting in the little tupperware container I use to house during tank cleaning, I opened the top and placed it inside the tank to let it come out on its own so it has not checked out the new digs yet. Hopefully we are in pre-molt and and I have nothing to worry about but I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

---------- Post added 07-13-2014 at 08:28 AM ----------

Humidity is around 40% in the tank which is where the care sheet I was reading said it should be.
Be aware that when you introduce a t to an new home, or re-do its home, there is generally a period that the spider will require to get used to its new habitat, some seem to adapt quickly, others can take weeks or months. I personally would have just left the substrate you had and not disrupted the t again so quickly. When its ready to eat, you won't have any issues, they are voracious eaters.

edit: care sheets are virtually worthless, please don't rely on them, that's something that gets many into trouble.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
It's likely in pre-molt. This tarantula will snatch food right from the tongs after it molts. You need to quit messing with it and let it shed. This is a stressful time for your new friend. Trying to make him more comfortable by feeding and changing his environment, is actually stressing it out more than if you just let it be for a week or so.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Be aware that when you introduce a t to an new home, or re-do its home, there is generally a period that the spider will require to get used to its new habitat, some seem to adapt quickly, others can take weeks or months.
Also depends on how hungry the spider is. If it's got a small abdomen, it'll probably grab anything edible without hesitation, adult T's do this too. But once it has some weight on it, it'll usually be more cautious and may take more time to settle-in before feeding. I've fed hundreds of w/c adults over the years (helping dealers/importers) and even right after being put in a clean deli cup, they'll usually instantly grab crickets.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Also depends on how hungry the spider is. If it's got a small abdomen, it'll probably grab anything edible without hesitation, adult T's do this too. But once it has some weight on it, it'll usually be more cautious and may take more time to settle-in before feeding. I've fed hundreds of w/c adults over the years (helping dealers/importers) and even right after being put in a clean deli cup, they'll usually instantly grab crickets.
I agree GBBs rarely need a settling in period to start feeding. They generally get busy webbing and setting up house within minutes of being introduced to a new enclosure

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
Mine will web up the deli cup I put him in during a rehousing even if he's in there for only a few minutes