Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescense (GBB) - Enclose humidity; your pov's?

Huck5

Arachnopeon
Hi there.

I've had my GBB, Ballask, for a fairly reasonable amount of time now (Almost a year?), and I haven't run into any problems (which is a good indication that I should continue with what I am doing). But I just wanted to create this thread to get a general idea of what the overall opinion is regarding humidity and GBB's.

Different sources indicate different ideals for housing climates; The majority that I have read (which, granted, is not *that* many) indicate that the GBB is more of a an arid/desert-type species; Requiring completely dry substrate/tank. I've read that, [especially] among GBB's, increased humidity is a catalyst for book-lung infections, and other complications.

While this makes sense, (and I would think is fairly true for the majority of Tarantulas), I feel more inclined to believe the minority of reports I have encountered; which indicate that GBB resides on the edge of forested/swampy regions. These indicate that GBB should be housed in a low-medium/medium humidity (Not "wet", obv, and not "super-dry" like the majority indicates). Keeping a corner of the enclosure damp (by the water-dish), and/or occasional misting.

The latter makes sense to me, but I have not really taken a stand either way as of yet. I generally switch between the two; allow some over-spill of the water dish to generate some humidity in the enclosure, then allow time for the enclosure to dry out before re-humidifying.

What are your opinions on housing-humidity for GBB?

TL;DR: Should GBB enclosure be humid, or dry?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
general idea of what the overall opinion is regarding humidity and GBB's
It should be on the dry side, except when they're slings or breeding.
They seem to do better when they're dry.

In reality, you shouldn't really worry about humidity with these guys at all, as long as you aren't keeping them rainforest wet or completely no-water dry.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
While this makes sense, (and I would think is fairly true for the majority of Tarantulas), I feel more inclined to believe the minority of reports I have encountered; which indicate that GBB resides on the edge of forested/swampy regions.
This is native GBB habitat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Yg6xEwo8I

Certainly not anywhere near or "on the edge" of 'swampy' regions. Relatively xeric scrubland...vegetation consisting of cacti, shrubs, etc.

Huck5

Arachnopeon
Cool!
Thank you for that. Very informative,
My geographical skills are definitely subpar.
:)

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I've only kept mine with a water dish, everything else is dry. And mine is thriving, almost 3". I've also never seen it drink or hover over the water dish either, almost seems like it avoids it completely.