G. Rosea having bad molt.

Mackaylinn

Arachnopeon
Pete my male G. Rosea is in the process of molting he was doing fine earlier. When I just went to check on him I noticed a pretty good size pool of blood next to one of his legs. Can someone tell me if it's too late to do anything and what I should do if it's not. Also to be noted he's completely missing a leg I bought him like that could that be the site of the blood loss. Sorry I'll get more pictures if needed.

Attachments

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
His molt appears to have clubbed palps, was he a mature male? If he was, then he would be attempting a postultimate molt right now, which are rarely successful I'm sorry to say. I'm sure someone can come along with more reassuring advice-all I can think is try to up the humidity and leave him to it. If you can see where he's bleeding from you can attempt to patch it, with flour or talc. Depending on how confident you are and the tools you have available, you could attempt to help him. There are a few videos on Youtube of people essentially cutting a tarantula from a molt, but you have to be extremely careful.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
If there's one thing i learned from my badly molted C.darlingi, it's amp up your humidity, pray and just leave it be. She may have lost 3 legs and deformed one but she is still hell as ever.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You have a mature male attempting a post ultimate molt and something going predictably wrong.
Unfortunately the odds of him getting through this alive are slim to none, even less with that pool of blood and even if you manage to extract him, he will almost certainly be deformed and will not live too long anyway.
There's not much you can do.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
You have a mature male attempting a post ultimate molt and something going predictably wrong.
Unfortunately the odds of him getting through this alive are slim to none, even less with that pool of blood and even if you manage to extract him, he will almost certainly be deformed and will not live too long anyway.
There's not much you can do.
Plus even if he does live through it he will probably have to suffer until he finally does die.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Awe, this sucks! I dread my male maturing simply for its short span thereafter and how horrible id feel if he tried a post ultimate molt.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, in my experience, G. rosea are among the most successful Ts as far as males pulling off post-ultimate molts. I've had several over the years that have done so, including one who did it twice (he molted 2X after maturity). He lived for 5-6 years as a mature/post-mature male. I've also had A. avicularia males pull off post-ultimate molts, though none that lived to try a second time.

Granted the above is not the usual, but at the same time, the doom and gloom of the above posts isn't how it has to be (or always is). If you can see where the hemolymph is coming from, you can, as noted above, try and patch it with flour, talc or even just substrate. Me, I'd probably just leave him alone. I never actually witnessed the post-ultimate molt occur, so I can't say whether any of mine bled during the process, but given that the palps are usually odd or sometimes missing (presumption being that they may have to throw the palp to get free), I wouldn't be surprised if it had been the case.

Could be your guy has a bleed coming from one of the palps and/or had to lose one of the palps. To be honest, I don't know that raising the ambient humidity is going to do much good, given that the spider extricates itself using the moisture that is already inside of the spider at the time of the molt - kind of the same reason why misting during a molt is pointless (unless you're specifically lubricating a joint, in which case glycerin is probably a better option). It also won't hurt, though, so you may as well try it. I would recommend that if you can quickly see where the bleed is coming from and patch it in an unobtrusive way, do so, then leave the spider's enclosure undisturbed and in a dark, quiet place.

I don't know if water introduced via a medicine dropper onto the mouthparts would be ingested - probably depends on whether the T has extricated itself from that part of the old exo yet or not. But that would probably be the only way to actually introduce more moisture to the spider's system and (maybe?) improve the Ts blood pressure. Since they move partly through hydraulics, that might be important to allowing additional extraction, but unsure exactly how all that breaks down as far as the movements utilized during a molt.

In any case, good luck - hope he pulls through.