My Baby Girl is Dying

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
And I have no clue what to do. I feel so helpless... I've had her (A. avic) for about 7 years now and was an adult already when I bought her. He has refused to eat anything for months now, I don't even remember the last time she ate. It's heartbreaking to watch her slowly dying. Her abdomen is so shriveled and her legs are curled beneath her but she still moves if I nudge her. Can I force feed her?

awiec

Arachnoprince
You could feed her a cricket smoothy via an eye dropper but it sounds like her time to go, avics don't live past 10-12 years often. If she was an adult when you got her that would make her at least 2-3 years old so with the 7 you had her it seems like she lived a good long life. I'd suggest just letting her die in piece maybe make sure she has clean water but force feeding her I see as fruitless and you will be stressing her out further. It kinda sucks that since Ts are larger it seems to take them a little longer to die, my true spiders would usually go down hill and then die within a week or so; I know I will be sad when I have to watch the Ts I've raised from slings die but that is life.

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Thank you. :'( I'm super sad to see her go but you're right, I just need to let her go. For now I have her on paper towels in a container. She was my first T...

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
I'm so sorry. Maybe say your goodbyes and then let her go peacefully. It's sad, but you've gotten to enjoy her company and had the pleasure to own her.. Again, I'm so sorry.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Fast-growing tropical species usually don't live as long as the desert/semi-arid ones. The 20-30 year life span that often gets quoted does not apply to all. Many are probably 10-15, which is still a long life for an invertebrate.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just had a T die, and thru the ppl on the forum, I learned how to mount him in a frame after death to keep him always <3 if you'd like some advice on how to preserve him for mounting plz let me kno. Otherwise I wish him a peaceful end and a loving burial. Me deepest condolences.

CourtneyBrooke3

Arachnopeon
I feel your pain. my G. Rosea passed in January. I believe it was cancer but not entirely sure. Be glad she can go peacefully. just keep her comfortable and let her go. it's never easy to lose something you care so much for. deepest condolences to you. </3

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fast-growing tropical species usually don't live as long as the desert/semi-arid ones. The 20-30 year life span that often gets quoted does not apply to all. Many are probably 10-15, which is still a long life for an invertebrate.
That was my first thought, too...15 years for a P. cambridgei for example is about right for females due to their fast growth rate. I'd sort Avics somewhere between 9-15.

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
She finally passed today and with tears in my eyes I disposed of her. I didn't want to keep her body, it just saddened me so much. I'm glad she's finally gone, I felt so helpless seeing how slowly she was going.

She was such a beautiful spider. I hope one day I get to have another just as beautiful as her.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405705553.525444.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405705566.424903.jpg

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Thankfully I still have my three other girls...
'Larry' an adult female G. rosea that's been with us for 8 years.
'Raven' a female 3 1/2 inch G. pulchra I've had for 4 years
A. seemanni, adult female I've had for 2 years. I haven't been able to name her yet! She's just too pretty.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thankfully I still have my three other girls...
'Larry' an adult female G. rosea that's been with us for 8 years.
'Raven' a female 3 1/2 inch G. pulchra I've had for 4 years
A. seemanni, adult female I've had for 2 years. I haven't been able to name her yet! She's just too pretty.
I'm impressed that you only have 3-4 spiders while being in the hobby for 8 years. It sucks a lot and I know I'm going to be a big blubbering mess when mine pass BUT this year a lot of cool avic species that are not usually in the hobby are being hatched out in large numbers; perhaps check out some of the rest of the genus.

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
I'm impressed that you only have 3-4 spiders while being in the hobby for 8 years. It sucks a lot and I know I'm going to be a big blubbering mess when mine pass BUT this year a lot of cool avic species that are not usually in the hobby are being hatched out in large numbers; perhaps check out some of the rest of the genus.
Oh I had hundreds at one point when I was breeding A. versicolor. Lol! I got out of it, people are just TOO cut throat in the hobby for me. I just kept the ones that were with me the longest. I still wish I could have kept everyone but my bf made me sell them and others I sold because of family funeral expenses. :( I'm just glad I was able to keep a few.

Thank you. I will keep an eye out.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Oh I had hundreds at one point when I was breeding A. versicolor. Lol! I got out of it, people are just TOO cut throat in the hobby for me. I just kept the ones that were with me the longest. I still wish I could have kept everyone but my bf made me sell them and others I sold because of family funeral expenses. :( I'm just glad I was able to keep a few.

Thank you. I will keep an eye out.
That makes sense. My bf and I struck out a deal that I'm allowed to have my spiders as long as I let him have his saltwater tanks; so we have a compromise but I'm reaching my space limit so I will wait for some of my males to mature. I would suggest A. braunshauseni and A.geroldi as the former is a giant fluffy version of A.avic and the latter is a brighter version. Of course A.aurantiaca and A.huriana have made an appearance this year too, along with some of the other less common species.

loversnsinners

Arachnopeon
My Male A. Seemani Died last night, he was my first T i have ever had. I ended up burying him in my backyard in a deli cup filled with his soil. I kept his ultimate molt from a year ago cause i save all molts but i couldn't bear the thought to preserve him. He looked so bad last night, he was in a part death curl(not full Death Curl). So we moved him into a kritter creeper to be isolated from the cricket that was in his cage and when i went in to check on him, he was just extremely limp looking. I moved him a little and he wouldn't move at all, then a minute later he had one back leg that was twitching(like as if a leg could have its own hiccups). That happend for a good 30 seconds and then he passed.
Oh the pain to lose him, he was so beautiful. Luckily i have 2 new slings i had got within the last month, so that helps distract me. And to celebrate his life, i will be getting a Avic Versicolor sling soon.
RIP to all the T's that have moved on. 605178616167929.jpg

twbillings

Arachnopeon
I have kept Avics for a long time. They are fantastic for every aspect of the hobby IMHO save two things. One, they live shorter lives compared to other species, and two, they are slightly more fragile for the novice. I recently lost my initial 4 within the same month. All acquired as adults and lived for 8 years. I feel your pain.