Greenbottle Blues ....

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
I'm in the processes of narrowing down which spider come home with me this week . I keep seeing a lot of rave about the Greenbottle Blue Tarantula, is that one I should consider ? What makes the GBB so widely considerable in the hobby ? I'm so anxious to get the right T for me to foray into the hobby with.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
GBBs are fantastic T's. Their colors are amazing during every stage of growth, their growth rate isn't glacial, they are fantastic eaters with lightening fast prey response, and are easy to care for. Unlike most terrestrial T's however, they are heavy webbers but I personally find that to be a plus. Oh and they're not pet rocks, they actually move around. To me they are one of the top two T's I recommend as a first or as an addition to any collection. I don't think you can go wrong with a GBB.

Forcep

Arachnosquire
Agree with HungryGhost, and you'll never know why everyone(at least the majority) loves GBB until you've got one :p

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
Are they heavy flickers ? I don't plan on holding him/her but how are they when it comes to enclosure maintenance etc. ?

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
Are they heavy flickers ? I don't plan on holding him/her but how are they when it comes to enclosure maintenance etc. ?
I can't speak for all but mine only flicks when it's in premolt. Other then that he's pretty tolerant of maintainance. If I accidentally nudge him he just kinda looks at me like what was that for? But when it comes to prey it's like he came straight from the depths of hell

skippydude

Arachnobaron
They are usually heavy flickers. When they kick, it makes a cloud, but the hairs are considered mild. At least one of my GBBs will hair me every feeding day. To me it doesn't itch at all

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
My GBB is still a sling so I can't speak to the hair flicking - but the pros: active, very cool to watch a semi-arboreal go on a webbing spree, good growth, good appetite, awesome colour changes throughout every stage. Mine is very skittish, and FAST, I don't plan on handling because of his speed, but as a display T they are lovely :)

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
Yes, they will flick plenty of hairs at you, but they're generally inconsequential; sometimes I feel the urge to scratch my nose after being kicked at, but that's it. I find that my female is on the skittish side, and although she's not as quick as an old world spider, she can be troublesome. I wouldn't recommend it for somebody's first tarantula, but beyond that it's up to you.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Any other recommendations ?
An all around good first T is G. pulchripes. They are hardy, fairly active, and faster growing than others from this genus. They are also generally docile. As they grow there colors are beautiful in a subtle way. They are inexpensive, good eaters and get pretty big, up to 8".

cjp518

Arachnopeon
Any other recommendations ?
If your looking for a species that's pretty reluctant to kick hairs E. Campastratus might be your answer I just got one for that very reason but mine is only a sling so I'm not entirely sure if what I heard was true. However if you are looking for a more active spieces. This is not your gal they tend to hide alot.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
If your looking for a species that's pretty reluctant to kick hairs E. Campastratus might be your answer I just got one for that very reason but mine is only a sling so I'm not entirely sure if what I heard was true. However if you are looking for a more active spieces. This is not your gal they tend to hide alot.
E. Campastratus are as mellow as they come but are slow growers and not the biggest eaters. They are large and beautiful.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are loads of great Ts to go with as beginners. I suppose a lot depends on what you feel is a limitation of yours. For me personally, I have a lot of experience with really aggressive, fast, and unpredictable animals (kinda like the centipede I gave you :D), but I didn't feel super confident in my ability to keep the conditions right. If you're like me, a GBB is great because they are extremely hardy, and as long as it doesn't get really wet or the temp doesn't go waaaaaaaayyyy low, they'll be fine. I would recommend, like others here, species from the brachypelma genus, GBB's, or maybe a G. Rosea. One thing to note, Rosies are known to be a little moody, so some of them are sweet as syrup, and others are will throw threat postures as much as an OBT. Does temperament or keeping their conditions right concern you the most?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My baby green bottle blue

image.jpg
This is Webster my baby green bottle blue, he's the size of my thumb nail currently. These guys are fast but beautiful- mines skittish but can still take down a cricket bigger than him! But he is quite t
He escape artist! Enjoy your new green bottle blue!

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's my sling too! Named him/her Sprocket, considering it'll work for a male or female name.
IMG_0368.jpg

Germx

Arachnopeon
Green bottles are a very hardy T. They are decent for a first T but are very skittish. So being a new new owner you may startle your T and cause it to possibly make a dash out of its enclosure. That's really the only downside to them. Their upside is great. Aggressive eaters that will take down prey their size. Absolutely beautiful as an adult. They web heavily and are out on display constantly. They have minimal requirements for husbandry. They thrive on dry sub with nothing more than a water dish and something to anchor webbing to.

You would not regret owning one

June Jupiter

Arachnosquire
How would Brachypelma albiceps compare to them in terms of visibility, activity and aggressive eating ?

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two juvenile C. cyaneopubescens, and they both web quite a bit, are almost always visible, and are active. They are also lively and enthusiastic eaters that will quickly attack prey items with gusto. As mentioned earlier posts, they can be skittish, and they can bolt when disturbed.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
How would Brachypelma albiceps compare to them in terms of visibility, activity and aggressive eating ?
They visible more as they get larger, slings can burrow and hide a bit. As adults they are visible and gorgeous. They are less active than GBBs. While they are good eaters, very few new world T's can compare to GBBs prey response. They are also less active and grow a lot more slowly. B. albiceps is a great species for a first T. They tend to be docile. I have it on my wish list.