Collection Types

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Hey I was reading through some responses to another thread an it got me thinking…what do you guys and gals focus on for your collections? Certain types, species, genera, OW/NW? Just random and as much variety as possible? NW giants, OW arboreals? Would love to hear what spiders make each of you tick or what you prefer!

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
Whatever makes me literally do a grabby hands motion towards the screen when looking through people's pictures. Lol.
That's why I bought my C. marshalli and P. cancerides. Other than that it's a spurt of the moment shopping spree for me.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
An emphasis on OW's, arboreals, and the huge NW tropical terrestrials. Also like species from remote places and countries where tarantulas weren't imported from previously, like Madagascar, Indonesia, Australia, India, Philippines, China, etc. To me, Selenocosmia effera is interesting because it's from a tropical island in the Indian Ocean; color's not important in that case. Favorite genus is Poecilotheria, followed by Cyriopagopus, Lampropelma, and Phomingochilus.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I generally get things based off looks. I try to stray from the really potent ones but I get a few OW. My G. porteri, my first, I didn't really have a factor in choosing it, I just read it was the best beginner. Next was a GBB for obvious reasons and a free B. albopilosum, I actually like their look so that's a win. After that I got a juvie A. chalcodes in a trade, I think they look a little unique. After that came M. balfouri, H. incei and a few L. parahybanas because they are pretty and huge. And finally, C. elegans and C. marshalli. I like to have a display collection I guess :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
I usually try to grab something that is a little different from what I have. I go through phases, I was in a terrestrial phase of both NW and OW, now I'm starting to get back into aboreals like how I started. I also like to go for some oddball genus on occasion as my favorites are the pamphs and taps, which I feel are not as popular as they could be.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Mine is best described as NW giants and OW attitude. If its giant, or has a colorful attitude, I probably want it, lol. My favorite genuses are probably Pamphobeteus, Xenesthis, Poecilotheria, Ephebopus, Lampropelma, and recently I've gotten into African baboons (various genus).

I'm looking to branch out into Phormictopus, Cyriopagopus, and Haplopelma. But before I do that, there are two more Poecilotheria's I want, Rufilata, and Tigrinawesseli.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NW arboreals, particularly Avics. I'm also quite fond of many OW arboreals, mainly pokies. These are my two favorite genera. I like to think I'm pretty well rounded for the most part. I've got a few NW terrestrials but most of my NW are arboreals (Avics and psalmos). My OW are about half terrestrial and half arboreal.

I've recently started getting into obligate burrowers and swamp dwellers so we'll see how that goes.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

JZC

Arachnobaron
I'm all over the place in what I like, but I too really like the giant NW tropical terrestrials.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Sweet sounding collections so far..sounds like most of you strive for diversity while having a few particular favorites. This is how I am so far. I love Psalmos and African Baboons, as well as a few large NW monsters but I find myself wanting a few odd balls such as C. Fimbriatus, H. Sp. Colombia Large, C. Schioedtei, etc. I am realizing that I find myself drawn to T's with variations of the tiger striped abdomen….and of course, I love those aggressive eaters….go Genics!!!

goodyt

Arachnosquire
I was all over the place at first. New worlds at first then about a dozen that I randomly brought home from an ATS conference. Some didn't make it for various reasons and many I raised and rehomed to happy new hobbyists. I screened them as much as I could and let them know where to get good information on taking care of them.

To date, I have built 5.9 P met for breeding purposes with five different blood lines with accents of two OBTs from last year's conference door, an A chalcodes that my father brought home for me off the road because he knew I liked tarantulas again and a very special large female B albo that I won another conference. After seeing a sac of 1000 eggs, I have no intentions of breeding her, but she is awesome.

-AJ

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
I like to have an even mixture of arboreal a and terrestrials. As far as ow/now I tend to lean towards ow only because I like a the fiestier specimens lol

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I prefer new worlds because they're just so WEIRD!

Avics are WEIRD! But that's what makes em cool. They're like a messed up backwards grammie, except they hit you with their butt when mad :D

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
I prefer new worlds because they're just so WEIRD!

Avics are WEIRD! But that's what makes em cool. They're like a messed up backwards grammie, except they hit you with their butt when mad :D
Omg I know!! I just got a diversipes in the mail today and the second he popped out of his vial he crawled up my arm and shot poo at me lol I was so confused. My Versicolor used to do that but I thought it was only versicolors :p

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
I usually try to grab something that is a little different from what I have. I go through phases, I was in a terrestrial phase of both NW and OW, now I'm starting to get back into aboreals like how I started. I also like to go for some oddball genus on occasion as my favorites are the pamphs and taps, which I feel are not as popular as they could be.
Yes! I go through phases too. Right now I'm "craving" more baboons.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Whatever makes me literally do a grabby hands motion towards the screen when looking through people's pictures. Lol.....
LOL.... Agreed. :)

My very first T was a mature G. rosea I found in the classifieds. Most of my 12 are NW terrestrials, but I like T's that are very unique in their colouration. My B. emilia & P. irminia and 4 P. regalis, for example. Others were 'must haves' for a collector (LP & G. pulchra). A couple were freebies or gifts (B. albopilosum, which I think are very underrated, by the way, and B. vagans). Looking to get a few more T's: Another giant (G. pulchripes), and a couple with unique colouration (GBB & P. subfusca Highland), and hopefully a mature female B. smithi in the fall. :)

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
I'm a beginner, and I'm not gunna lie, I go for looks. Why not, as they are display pets? My first is a GBB, and I'm getting avics versi & geroldi, and a b smithi next month. After that, I'll look at a genics and g pulchripes. Their habits & care requirements matter too, but I'm a sucker for the flashy ones - I'd love to work my way up to a p metallica someday, but OWs are off limits to me for a long while, just due to inexperience :p

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I'm a beginner, and I'm not gunna lie, I go for looks. Why not, as they are display pets? My first is a GBB, and I'm getting avics versi & geroldi, and a b smithi next month. After that, I'll look at a genics and g pulchripes. Their habits & care requirements matter too, but I'm a sucker for the flashy ones - I'd love to work my way up to a p metallica someday, but OWs are off limits to me for a long while, just due to inexperience :p
That's a good way to get into the hobby, telling yourself that the OW's are off limits until you have more experience. I didn't get my first ones (P. regalis) until just this past May, two years after I started. :)

What part of Alberta are you in? I use to live at a couple of spots around Red Deer.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
It is cool that people are deliberate enough to focus on NW for that long…I jumped in the hobby with a mix of NW and OW and I sometimes have visions of an all NW collection because of how entertaining they are and less stressful to work with. I could not give up OW now that I have had a couple though…truly unique demeanor. The tough part with OW so far has only been rehousing. I know from experience why people start with NW and only move up to OW after some time. My OBT's have been a pain in the rear to deal with but I love them for their boldness and intensity….sick predators. NW on the other hand are so cool…Psalmos for intensity and looks, Genics seemingly can't be outmatched by prey, B. Albopilosum with their overnight projects and laid back demeanor, proud B. Boehmei standing tall in the center of her vial….and calm and cool G Pulchripes and Euathlus Sp. Red….so much character in NW alone. You got to have poise to handle OW…if you freak out you ought not go there.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started out with an LP and a GBB, then decided to plunge head first and get an OBT. I've been dealing with grumpy animals most of my life so the OBT wasn't much trouble as long as I respect their speed and venom. I started wanting the biggest possible, but now I'm going for diversity, and just want to try out every kind I can. Thinking about getting a P. muticus or H. lividum, then idk what after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I like them Black.Mt favorite in my collection is G.pulchra.I also have a Thai black.Looking to get a Sulawesi black,and all other black T's.I like working with ones there is not a lot of info on,like my P.sazimai,I like "new ground".