Help me please. Dropped my tarantula help

Monthud

Arachnopeon
Okay so i was holding my g.rosea sling. he is about 3/4s of a inch. HE fell on my granite floor about 6 inches.. i checked him and there is clear liquid coming from his spinneret. i just got him so I'm very worried :((( he is moving but I'm very worried

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 02:00 PM ----------

the liquid has appeared to have stopped coming out.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
a little dab of dry cornstarch on the wound (LITTLE!) will cause the fluid to congeal, like a fake scab. be careful not to gunk up its booklungs!

Monthud

Arachnopeon
thank you so much i was careful not to get any on the book lungs. i was unsure where the wound was to be exact so i put a little in the general area of the abdomen. ya I just got into tarantulas. Ive kept mostly Centipedes and reptiles.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While I don't endorse handling, if someone wants to occasionally handle a more docile specimen that will tolerate it, I don't see anything wrong with that. However a sling of that size should never be handled. They're just too delicate at that size and a small fall could easily kill them. I'm not going to scold you for something that I have no control over, but I really think you need to wait until it reaches 2 inches to start handling it. Since its a Rosie, that wont be for an eternity, but that's why I don't purchase slow growing species as slings. Anyway I hope everything turns out OK.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
While accidents do happen, you need to do everything you can to minimize the risk. I personally do not handle any T's because I believe the risk is simply too great. As long as you learn from the experience, this can be beneficial. A while back I had an LV sling get spooked while I had the lid of its cup off and it ran right out of its burrow onto my counter and went flying off the counter onto my carpet. I was lucky it was carpet... Now, whenever the lid needs to come off, the enclosure is in the bathtub with a cup over the drain. It all goes back to learning from the experience and minimzing the risk.

awiec

Arachnoprince
While accidents do happen, you need to do everything you can to minimize the risk. I personally do not handle any T's because I believe the risk is simply too great. As long as you learn from the experience, this can be beneficial. A while back I had an LV sling get spooked while I had the lid of its cup off and it ran right out of its burrow onto my counter and went flying off the counter onto my carpet. I was lucky it was carpet... Now, whenever the lid needs to come off, the enclosure is in the bathtub with a cup over the drain. It all goes back to learning from the experience and minimzing the risk.
Very much so, I learned my lesson about opening T cages on high surfaces early, my C.darlingi got spooked and ran out of her cage and almost fell to her death but I cupped her with my hand while she was falling with no harm to either of us. I now do all my maintenance on the floor where they won't kill themselves.

In regards to the OP, I hope the sling survives and god forbid if it didn't, you still learned a lesson and your future pets will hopefully be safer with your new wisdom.