Answer needed pretty soon- please help

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Hello. I ordered roaches, which came, for my 1/4" sling. I made the mistake of not killing it before giving it to my little guy, and now they've been struggling in a battle for about 20 minutes(they're about the same size). I learned my lesson, but now what should I do? Just leave them to struggle or do something? The roach is just trying to get away, and the sling is holding on. The roach will stop moving for a while, and then start struggling again. UGH. Thanks in advance. I'll prekill from now on. By the way, whats the best method to use for the roaches? I feel kind of bad crushing their heads and stuff... but I can do it.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
It should be fine, next time try half a roach or a piece that looks equal to the size of your T's abdomen.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
I would leave them be.
Okay, Hopefully he can kill it soon. I don't know if he has his fangs in the bottom soft-ish part or not.. I think that's what the problem is. He's a persistent dude. I'll give him that.

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 09:31 PM ----------

It should be fine, next time try half a roach or a piece that looks equal to the size of your T's abdomen.
Okay, thank you. I have two adults so I'm not used to this sling thing! I normally just drop them in without a problem.

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 09:47 PM ----------

They're still struggling :/

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 09:59 PM ----------

I guess I'm going to try and seperate them then crush the head (I feel bad doing that though..)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Okay, Hopefully he can kill it soon. I don't know if he has his fangs in the bottom soft-ish part or not.. I think that's what the problem is. He's a persistent dude. I'll give him that.

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 09:31 PM ----------

Okay, thank you. I have two adults so I'm not used to this sling thing! I normally just drop them in without a problem.

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 09:47 PM ----------

They're still struggling :/

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 09:59 PM ----------

I guess I'm going to try and seperate them then crush the head (I feel bad doing that though..)
Don't worry too much about it, the roach can't hurt the T, my G.pulchripes sling will sometimes sit for 15 minutes while the roach struggles until the mechanical damage or the venom kills it. In the future just offer it half of a prekilled roach; which that little sling sounds tenacious so I'd watch out when it's bigger:p

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Don't worry too much about it, the roach can't hurt the T, my G.pulchripes sling will sometimes sit for 15 minutes while the roach struggles until the mechanical damage or the venom kills it. In the future just offer it half of a prekilled roach; which that little sling sounds tenacious so I'd watch out when it's bigger:p
Okay, I guess I'll leave them if the roach can't hurt him. He's been holding onto the same spot! It's been like 40 minutes now. I at least hope the venom is getting in...somehow

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The slings usually handle their prey quite fine, as surprising as it may seem. I crush the roaches heads for my tiniest slings usually if they will take them that way or I get a nicely molted roach so its soft and juicy.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
I see. Well I think he can handle it. I'll check on him later. Hopefully he'll have taken him down by then.

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 10:36 PM ----------

Theyre still struggling over there

---------- Post added 07-18-2014 at 10:45 PM ----------

How long is too long? Sorry for being so paranoid..

cold blood

Staff member
Dang, I want a 1/4" sling with THAT attitude! What species is it?

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Dang, I want a 1/4" sling with THAT attitude! What species is it?
Brachypelma Vagans:
0718142101.jpg
I tried to take the roach away so I could prekill it- NOPE. Would NOT give it to me! Little dude is crazy! He hasn't let go of that spot for about an hour now.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Yeah my vagans slings are fun to watch feeding. I drop a tiny mealworm next to them and they attack full force.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From the picture, it looks like your T has already won the battle.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
From the picture, it looks like your T has already won the battle.
pretty sure the roach is dead, after 3 hours of wrestling

---------- Post added 07-19-2014 at 12:30 AM ----------

Okay nevermind the roach is STILL struggling

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Do not panick. My tarantula slings take roaches a tad bit bigger than themselves!

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
Your vagans sounds like quite the little hell spawn. Not to mention that roach knows how to take a beating. Can't wait till I have something small enough that's alive to feed my vagans

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
My two vagans have some of the strongest feeding responses in my collection. They attack the water dish when I try to pull it. Strike at the tongs anytime I try to grab a bolus. And this will even be with a good sized prey item in their fangs already.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
When I first read the post, in my mind I'm seeing a huge roach with a tiny sling

Now that I see the actual picture I'm {D rofl

Your T can take down a roach that size no problem. It is still too big a meal for it, but won't harm your T during the kill

Next feeding give it half a roach of that size ;)