Experience/advice with Thrixopelma ockerti?

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
We went down to tarantulacanada and bought some new slings and a scorp on Friday. One of my guys is a T. ockerti sling. Really cute little guy. Martin told me they're easy to keep. But skittish hair kickers and arboreal although they do explore the ground. Really love the adult spider, beautiful species and cool looking spinnerets. I read some other posts and random google info I could find but was wondering if anyone who owns or has owned them had some experience or advice to chime in with.

The sling isn't webbing, is this pretty normal? He mostly seems to be hanging on the vial wall although does seem decently active. Still pretty small, aprox. 1/4". My other arboreals are A. avic and A. versi. All three of which web like crazy. I'm waiting until tomorrow to feed as it's sling feeding day. Nomnom prekilled cricket.

awiec

Arachnoprince
They are the odd-ball of the bunch since the rest of the genus is terrestrial. One of the vendors I visit at my local reptile show says that they like slightly moist sub in one area but will do fine on drier subs if they need to. They also have an odd habit of wiggling their abdomen when they are upset. There isn't a ton of info on the genus so this is all I got; they are voracious eaters from what I've seen from my own thrix (different species) and stay a slim figure.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Good info here:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?186674-T.ockerti

I had an 2inch ockerti before, but it died from a bad molt. Kicked hairs at the slightest disturbance, voracious, kept in a 32 oz. deli container with shallow substrate and a piece of cork bark, it was often on top of the cork bark or would be in the gap underneath, I'd say from my own personal experience they are semi-arboreal. It was quite the webber as well, but I wouldn't be too concerned if your sling web much yet.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
They are the odd-ball of the bunch since the rest of the genus is terrestrial. One of the vendors I visit at my local reptile show says that they like slightly moist sub in one area but will do fine on drier subs if they need to. They also have an odd habit of wiggling their abdomen when they are upset. There isn't a ton of info on the genus so this is all I got; they are voracious eaters from what I've seen from my own thrix (different species) and stay a slim figure.
It honestly seems this species does what it wants lol. Someone suggested in another post a few years back that they become arboreal because of severe flooding in the area they are endemic to. Ate pre-killed well. I'm out of pinheads until the ones in my container start hatching out (finally! success!).

Sorry to hear yours died ham. That stinks. That's a good thread, hadn't seen that one before! Still don't see any webbing but glad I don't have anything to worry about. I don't think the other sling we were choosing from had webbing going either.

Thanks guys :)