Intro & Question

Grey

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! First post ever for me on arachnoboards! A little backstory before my question...

So I am interested in getting my first ever T. I've done some research and I plan on continuing to do research, I like to educate myself before jumping the gun. I'm highly interested in different species and what not. I remember doing a report way back in school like ten years ago on spiders so I'm slightly knowledgable on spiders, I retained some of that knowledge somehow over the years. Anyways, I have a question that I'm sure you may get a lot...I'm looking for my first T and I want my first to be very special to me, I want the one that fits my personality like a glove. I can easily see how I'd want more in the future though....anyways, my question is will you give me some species that suit the qualifications below...

So for my very first T I'm looking for...

Mandatory

•SUPER HARDY
• Fair Temperament
• Long Lifespan 15 Years +
• Medium-Large Size 5Inches+
• Intricate Webber
• Active

Unsure

• OW or NW-Leaning toward NW.
• Arboreal, Terrestrial, or burrower.-Leaning toward terrestrial.
• Appetite-No preference.

Also noted, I do love colors and markings and unique physical traits.

And finally, I am really looking at the GBB (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) because it seems to meet all of my criteria but I would like everyone's suggestions and opinions as well.

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
I also suggest a gbb. They're medium growers with awesome markings as a sling and vibrant colors as an adult. It's impossible not to love the little buggers

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gbb can be on the defensive to skittish side, but that's just mine. They also don't get super large either. I still recommend it though, it is the favorite one I have.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
GBB is active and an intricate webber, but doesn't meet your longevity criteria and can be skittish, little hair flickers

15+ years, fair temperament, 5"+ in size and super hardy, you want Brachypelma or Grammostola

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think I may have a few suggestions for you, I will try to justify each one.

GBB
Very active
Like to web
Are very vibrant
They can be skittish but you get variety with every T
They get about 4-5 inches
They don't really get to 15 very often
Hardy
Easy to care for
Easy to find

G.pulchripes
Very active little bulldozers
Are a handsome black and gold
They are generally calm
They get about 7-8 inches
They can live far beyond 15 years
Hardy
Easy to care for
Easy to find

G.irhringi
Very active
I've seen mine web a decent amount
Are a vibrant red and black even when small
They can be a little more skittish than others in the genus
They get about 7-8 inches
They can live far beyond 15 years
Hardy
Easy to care for
A little harder to find

All are New World Terrestrials from arid regions meaning they are simple to care for and are on the more calmer side.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You're not ready for OW's or arboreals yet. Take your time. I'd recommend G pulchripes.

Grey

Arachnopeon
I'm impressed, didn't except so many replies so quick.

Thanks, everyone.

I think my heart is set on a GBB. They just seem to suit my so well, it's one of those things. The only downfall is their life span.Everything else I've read satisfies me to the utmost.

I'd like to still receive suggests.

I've already read up and watched videos on the suggested species. I was in fact interested in the brachy (curly hair). However I feel myself being pulled back to the GBB.

arach619

Arachnopeon
I love my GBB, but he really is hard to handle. I've had him dash on me and run 4 feet straight up a wall. I'd just settle with a GBB for the looks and a G. pulchripes for everything else.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys! First post ever for me on arachnoboards! A little backstory before my question...

So I am interested in getting my first ever T. I've done some research and I plan on continuing to do research, I like to educate myself before jumping the gun. I'm highly interested in different species and what not. I remember doing a report way back in school like ten years ago on spiders so I'm slightly knowledgable on spiders, I retained some of that knowledge somehow over the years. Anyways, I have a question that I'm sure you may get a lot...I'm looking for my first T and I want my first to be very special to me, I want the one that fits my personality like a glove. I can easily see how I'd want more in the future though....anyways, my question is will you give me some species that suit the qualifications below...

Mandatory

•SUPER HARDY
• Fair Temperament
• Intricate Webber
• Active

Unsure

And finally, I am really looking at the GBB (chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) because it seems to meet all of my criteria but I would like everyone's suggestions and opinions as well.
C. cyaneopubescens is a really spectacular species and will definitely give you what you're looking for. That said, they can be a bit nervous and are fairly fast. Just something to be aware of as a first time tarantula owner.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Chaco or the gbb will make you very happy. Keep in mind if you get one that's longer lived but wind up with a male, it won't make it past ten, or even 8 for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even then you'd still get plenty of time with them if you buy them at a younger age.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Grey

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I'm intending to buy a female spidering although I haven't researched various online vendors yet, that will be my next thing on my to do list. Fortunately I'm looking for a new place to live so I don't plan on purchasing for quite a while (although the ever present impulse is there) I plan to make the purchase as soon as I move which will be sometime later this year or possibly January of next.

Also, I'm already contemplating a second T! Haha I feel the addiction coming on. I want a variation of different species. They're so fascinating! Although I plan on keeping the first T for a while before buying a second. The first T has to be special to me, I feel like GBB is the one.

I really like the hairy species, haha so cool.

And lightening fast arboreals and I even love the vids on YouTube of those huge burrowers hiding in the mouth of some pitch black hole lined with webbing and then reaching out with lightening speed to grab their prey in the blink of an eye. Such power and poise.
Awesome critters.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I'm intending to buy a female spidering although I haven't researched various online vendors yet, that will be my next thing on my to do list. Fortunately I'm looking for a new place to live so I don't plan on purchasing for quite a while (although the ever present impulse is there) I plan to make the purchase as soon as I move which will be sometime later this year or possibly January of next.

Also, I'm already contemplating a second T! Haha I feel the addiction coming on. I want a variation of different species. They're so fascinating! Although I plan on keeping the first T for a while before buying a second. The first T has to be special to me, I feel like GBB is the one.

And lightening fast arboreals and I even love the vids on YouTube of those huge burrowers hiding in the mouth of some pitch black hole lined with webbing and then reaching out with lightening speed to grab their prey in the blink of an eye. Such power and poise.
Awesome critters.
I have some terrestrials that can be just as fast, it all depends on their personality. My P. sp Purple can teleport with the best of them, I swear the thing has a repel line attached to it.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon

Mandatory

•SUPER HARDY
• Fair Temperament
• Intricate Webber
• Active

Unsure

Thanks for your interest in the hobby, Grey. :)

Firstly, I would DEFINITELY suggest NW as a starter T. As most will tell you, the OW's are best left until you have the experience of a few NW's under your belt.

As for T suggestions, I can recommend quite a few that meet all your Mandatories EXCEPT the intricate webber, but more than make up for it in the Super Hardy & Fair Temperament categories:

G. pulchra [Brazilian Black] & B. emilia [True Mexican Red Leg] --- These two are tied for my favourite species. My pulchra is quite a bit more active than my emilia, but the emilia is super colourful and takes Long Lifespan to a whole new level (35+ years). Both are very docile, if you were inclined to handling. 5-6 inches at maturity, I believe.

B. albopilosum [Honduran Curly Hair] --- Not the prettiest of T's, but very docile, an aggressive hunter, and very active. Very underrated, in my books. Grows to be 5-6 inches. 15-20 year life span.

L. parahybana [Campagnia Grande Pink Salmon] --- Not a bad beginner T, but in general I would describe the temperament as only Fair [mine anyway, she's pretty cranky by times]. This one will be HUGE (they average about 7", although mine is over 8), and will grow pretty quick. Eating machines too, mine will stuff two crickets at a time into her face.

G. pulchripes [Chaco Golden Knee] --- Another one of the giants (7+ inches), but in general a lot more tractable than the LP.

The GBB would be a good choice too, although they tend to be a bit more skittish than the others. Webs all over the place, though, and strikingly colourful.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on. :)

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Awesome critters.
Keep in mind you can't purchase sexed spiderlings. If you eventually want a female I'd recommend getting several spiderlings instead of just one.

Grey

Arachnopeon
I figured that I wouldn't be able to and that I'd have to purchase a few slings to which might not be a bad thing.

Curious though, if I was ever to get interested in breeding would it be possible to breed two Ts that come from the same eggs sack or is spider incest a no no like it is in the mammalian world?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Mandatory

•SUPER HARDY
• Fair Temperament
• Intricate Webber
• Active

Unsure

My advice would be listen to the advice given above as the species mentioned are great but I would also throw in the stunningly beautiful jet black lump of velvet that is the G pulchra apart from not webbing that much they more than meet your criteria
Extremely long lived females even males live longer than most
Fair temperament
Well over 5"
Easy to care for
Active
The downsides are they can go on long fasts and can be expensive

Grey

Arachnopeon
I figured that I wouldn't be able to and that I'd have to purchase a few slings to which might not be a bad thing.

Curious though, if I was ever to get interested in breeding would it be possible to breed two Ts that come from the same eggs sack or is spider incest a no no like it is in the mammalian world?

Bump.

Anyone got an answer to this question.

Side note, there are so many awesome species ugh...haha.