Possible new T :)

Prowelder96

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking about getting, yes you guessed it, the orange bitey thing!! Any ideas or tips on this species??

Prowelder96

Arachnopeon
I have most experience with b smithi, the g roseas unpredictable behavior, the green bottle blue, and the b emilia. I figured the only way to learn about the more aggressive ones is to just jump into it.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I have most experience with b smithi, the g roseas unpredictable behavior, the green bottle blue, and the b emilia. I figured the only way to learn about the more aggressive ones is to just jump into it.
I agree but get a P. irminia first :) They are beautiful like the OBT and carry the same (if not more) bursts of speed but without the consequence of OW venom. Plus, they make AWESOME web tubes and burrows where as the OBT will likely hide itself rare to be seen.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think irminias are more reclusive than OBTs. Besides that I agree with everything else you said. Jumping in is not the way to go with this hobby. Also the term "aggressive" is generally frowned upon by many. "Highly defensive" is more appropriate.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
My OBT is very visible at this stage in life but I am not sure that this is the norm. It is one of my favorites in my collection but it is by far the biggest pain in the rear to re-house. I got my second one as a 1/2-3/4 inch sling last week and he was true to form in being the most difficult to unpack. I have P. Irminia, which is another favorite and H Maculata and some Nhandus and my OBT's are several times as wild as any of them…Any of the others will run to hide or just scurry a short distance but OBT will run laps around the tub or take off to parts unknown if not contained. They rattle my nerves to the point where I broke a sweat trying to get the new sling into his new home….If you are prepared to control the chaos then you will love them but I dove in and got an OBT as one of my first T's and so far it has been the only one to really test me….and it tests me every chance it gets!!! I named him Ntwadumela which is Swahili for "he who greats with fire." It is from a Nat Geo documentary about Lions and Hyenas….corny but accurate name for the little rascal.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
If you still decide on getting an obt I hope you have read up on it in the bite report section. Not something to get tagged by.

Prowelder96

Arachnopeon
I haven't read up the report but from what I have read other places that its pretty bad bite. Solid cramping in place of bite and legs. Swelling, very very very intense pain. Some cases irregular heartbeat. Is it true a bite on the neck could be fatal with the obt??

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
I haven't read up the report but from what I have read other places that its pretty bad bite. Solid cramping in place of bite and legs. Swelling, very very very intense pain. Some cases irregular heartbeat. Is it true a bite on the neck could be fatal with the obt??
Its more due to the fact that a large OBT can do some serious damage if they get your carotid artery as tarantulas in general have large fangs. I would not do the whole "birth by fire", there are some people who have done it but not everyone has the same skill level. Honestly an LP or a phormic is more up to your speed as, no offense to you, all of your species are pretty slow and low in the defensive department. I would certainly get an avic and a tap or pslamo before going for the OBT, the aboreals will teach you about tarantula skills that you didn't even know existed. OBTs are bred all the time so when you are ready they will be there. As a few have said its nerve wracking to transfer them, why not get all the reflexes and experience you can before you get one? It saves you and the T from stress, making your relationship less dangerous; these are fierce predators and should be respected for that.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Seems like you have a nice little group of Ts. If you feel you're ready for something more advanced. I'd suggest doing what you want in this situation. Get an OBT, Psalmopoeus, or even a Pokie. Just remember, when you hear people say they're fast. You have no idea until you see the speed of these little guys for yourself.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I agree but get a P. irminia first :) They are beautiful like the OBT and carry the same (if not more) bursts of speed but without the consequence of OW venom. Plus, they make AWESOME web tubes and burrows where as the OBT will likely hide itself rare to be seen.
+1, agreed. My irminia is awesome, although lightning quick. He was very tolerant of me rehousing him this weekend, no threat displays or anything. Didn't stop me from sweating bullets, though. :)

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I second the irminia and/or Trinidad chevron suggestions. Experience trumps most in this hobby. Personally, I got into an OBT as my third or fourth T, but that's only because I've been dealing with angry centipedes and true spiders since I was like ten. I go into a sort of tranquil state of tension, and you learn little tricks to keep your little monsters contained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Good plan. That's an accident waiting to happen. Too many people start with a sling and wind up with an adult they're afraid of and can't control. That makes escapes and bites more likely, which is a even bigger concern if you have family and pets.

There's nothing to prove here. Take it in stages as you get experience and don't dive in the deep end before you're ready. It doesn't do you or the hobby any good.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Good plan. That's an accident waiting to happen. Too many people start with a sling and wind up with an adult they're afraid of and can't control. That makes escapes and bites more likely, which is a even bigger concern if you have family and pets.

There's nothing to prove here. Take it in stages as you get experience and don't dive in the deep end before you're ready. It doesn't do you or the hobby any good.
+1, there isn't any reason to rush it. I was in the hobby for almost 8 years with NW's before I picked up my first OW. I'm glad I didn't push it, the way I was rehousing LP's; a Pokie, OBT, or LV would have been long gone from my control.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I'm thinking about getting, yes you guessed it, the orange bitey thing!! Any ideas or tips on this species??

I think when it comes to owning an OBT all you need is good reaction time/reflexes, if you can conquer their speed everything else is shut down.

fangs/venom are useless without a victim.

if your reaction time is slow you might not be ready for these.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think when it comes to owning an OBT all you need is good reaction time/reflexes...
And experience with fast, defensive spiders so you can stay calm and instantly react to prevent escapes and bites, instead of panicking and making things worse. The 'dive in the deep end' is a poor strategy. Maybe worth a few laughs now, but we've had guys do the same thing (argue with us, think they know everything) and later put their spider up for sale as they were afraid of it when it grew. Don't be one of them.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
im not gona lie i kinda laughed... i myself have aproximatly the same experience in terms of T's gbb, rosea [tho mines a puppydog] tho i have a Geniculata and Boehmei. both "defensive" and even i dont think i could be ready for a obt neither sling nor adult [tho am trying to get one for a pal]... personally i just placed an order for 2 more T's number 9 and 10 i thought about an obt for about .05 seconds.. but then you got to think... there is more species with a mean streak still in the new world. tho i wouldnt chose irmina myself. i decided to go with a nhadu cromatus and p. cambridge myself.. i think this would also be a little more down your ally.

some people can get an obt or even a pokie as their first T and some do fine sure you hear about those.. but then theirs so many more you no-longer hear of now who could not handle it, sold it/killed it, and probably no-longer are in the hobby [iv met 12 myself] when people say fast to somone who has not seen them it doesnt click....... best way to think about it imo is when they say fast. they mean quick as lightning. there and gone, you see it but its running to fast. .. when they say really fast. they mean teleport its here blink now its there..... and when we say teleport.. we mean vanished in 0.04 seconds/ninja T

you cant imagine how quick they are till you see one.. and not many people are going to youtube "hey lets feed/rehome my adult obt.. oh crud it got out.. lets chase it around with the camera on hand/head/mouth[or w/e] and go on with this video and continue to post it showing im a bad keeper"

Last edited:

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't say don't get an OBT, just be sure you know what your getting

Just rehoused an AF to get her away from her egg sack.

Here is a little sample of what to expect and this was a very smooth transfer. It only got a little funky :D

[video=youtube;riFI2G3h_9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=riFI2G3h_9s[/video]