Colorado Spider

spamanon

Arachnopeon
I am wondering if anyone knows for sure what kind of spider this is. I found it in a damp, dark tunnel so I had to use my phone to take the picture. For size reference, the drain hole appearing in the image is slightly larger in diameter than a tennis ball.

Thanks. (Also, I wasn't sure if this question belonged here or at some other subforum. I did my best to match the topic of this subforum.) big_spider_crop.jpg

spamanon

Arachnopeon
It does look an awful lot like many of the images of Dolomedes tenebrosus I see online, but the range doesn't match. Sources say eastern U.S., so how could this one end up in the Rockies?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The pattern or lack there of and way its legs are being held make me think Dolomedes, also the fact that it was found by a drain hole (so near water) makes me think Dolomedes.

remainpositive

Arachnosquire
Understandable. I used to live in Denver and saw all different kinds of Dolomedes. But then again there's those recent findings that a lot of different species are found hunting for small fish including many wolf and huntsman spiders, so they hang around wet areas more often.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Where exactly did you find it? My mother and I used to find these all the time near Lowel Ponds. I live in Denver by the way.

spamanon

Arachnopeon
I found this spider in Littleton, under Santa Fe. FWIW, bugguide.net says fishing spider too.