Pamphobeteus petersi?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I got a T at my LPS that was absolutely huge. Its almost 9". I tried to see if it was T. apophysis like I thought but it isn't. Now I think it's a P. petersi. Any idea on how much she is worth and is the care like other Pamphobeteus'?

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
If she is a pamph then care should be the same. Though I don't get what it is with people asking how much their stuff is worth recently, its worth whatever you or someone else is willing to pay for it. Or go look around the internet and get an idea from there.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Though I don't get what it is with people asking how much their stuff is worth recently, its worth whatever you or someone else is willing to pay for it. Or go look around the internet and get an idea from there.
+1. Prices are all over the map, depending on who's selling the spiders. There is no 'Blue Book of Tarantulas.' It's a moving target. Look around at classifieds, here and other sites. If you really want to know what your spider 'is worth' post an ad and see if anyone bites. If you're a buyer, how much are you willing to spend? Shop around, look for deals, negotiate. I hate to see this forum clogged up with a bunch of pointless 'What's it worth' threads. We're not here to talk about that all day.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Does anyone have experience with this species?
The genus as a whole acts the same from what I've read, new species are being brought into the trade all the time from this genus; but I have personally never heard of this one. Give her a hide, some room to burrow and slightly moist sub and that should make her happy.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My buddy just got a breeding pair of these guys, they really do look like b vagans on steroids!!! She's a stunning specimen!

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Yeah she's stunning but I open her cage and she's almost got her fangs into me. I barely had her for almost 25 minutes and I opened it to take pictures and I was almost an unhappy camper like she apparently was and is. Her fangs are absolutely massive. If anyone is interested I have a FT ad up.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yeah she's stunning but I open her cage and she's almost got her fangs into me. I barely had her for almost 25 minutes and I opened it to take pictures and I was almost an unhappy camper like she apparently was and is. Her fangs are absolutely massive. If anyone is interested I have a FT ad up.
That looks like a little cage and not so good sub, I'd be angry too :p If fuzzy can't work something out with you, I might be able to give her a new home too.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I put it in a larger cage and put some good substrate in there.

---------- Post added 07-21-2014 at 07:34 PM ----------

Would anyone be interested in a gravid female?

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So exchanging advice for Pamphobeteus petersi >?!!? But, it looks like a Sericopelma ...

To work out what it is, wait for a moult, then look inside if female for spermathecae shape - a simple dome will identify it as a Sericopelma, and confirm by looking for a lighter coloured pad on the inside of the femur (present in Sericopelma, absent in Pamphobeteus).

Nicely though, care of Pamphobeteus and Sericopelma are similar, both often prefer much more humidity, so give some area of much damper substrate (although with choice of other drier areas is fine) and a large refuge hide.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
So exchanging advice for Pamphobeteus petersi >?!!? But, it looks like a Sericopelma ...

To work out what it is, wait for a moult, then look inside if female for spermathecae shape - a simple dome will identify it as a Sericopelma, and confirm by looking for a lighter coloured pad on the inside of the femur (present in Sericopelma, absent in Pamphobeteus).

Nicely though, care of Pamphobeteus and Sericopelma are similar, both often prefer much more humidity, so give some area of much damper substrate (although with choice of other drier areas is fine) and a large refuge hide.

Okay well I went to the store and asked to see the molt. The T care taker at the store brought it out because it is so impressive and it is Pamphobeteus petersi. Thanks for telling me before someone could've ended up with something not quite the same.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay well I went to the store and asked to see the molt. The T care taker at the store brought it out because it is so impressive and it is Pamphobeteus petersi.
how you were able to determine this?

Thanks for telling me before someone could've ended up with something not quite the same.
this made me lol

moose

Ashton

Arachnoknight
how you were able to determine this?

this made me lol

moose
I was able to determine because I looked at it and it wasn't dome shaped as suggested. However no one can ever be %100 sure they have the right T when it wasn't tracked and labeled properly

Ashton

Arachnoknight
ppetersi3.jpg

Almost got a bite report from her. She's crazy fast and defensive. Gave me a Fred Sanford style heart attack.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
"it's the big one, Elizabeth. And I got a dummy standing here with me."